Look what I scored

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look what I scored

A friend of mine just gave me this Dell Latitude C600 (company was going to throw it away). It was missing memory and CD player. So I took the memory out of two older laptops (one works and the other is broke). I picked up a CD player and C-Dock II Docking Station for $45.

The laptop

Notice the Wake/Event Resume and the Wake on LAN options in the BIOS

The docking station

The left side of the docking station

the right side of the docking station

The back of the docking station
    `
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,
    ``,,`,,` `
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,
    `
    `

hey i got the same one for free too. dupont was so nice
    Falcon cr53 w/ via epia m10000. Nokia 3650 blutooth phone.
    Better than winamp. Click here for qcd player.

Comment

Yeah you can't beat free

dupont
      `
      ,,`,,
      ,,`,,
      ``,,`,,` `
      ,,`,,
      ,,`,,
      `
      `

Comment

damn, that docking station is huge!
        01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
        01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
        mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

What is up with the hump on the back of the docking station?!?

Comment

hah hah, yeah it is bigger than I thought it would be but that's because you can add a CD player and two PCI slots.

Not sure if I am going to keep it or exchange it for a regular docking station.

`
            ,,`,,
            ,,`,,
            ``,,`,,` `
            ,,`,,
            ,,`,,
            `
            `

Comment

Well, at any rate, you can't beat the price!

Comment

One thing to warn you about.....
                MY company has used those for a while and recently switched to newer dells and hp's. We had some problems with those laptops. Both the 600's and the 610's have the same issue.
                There is a problem that may pop up with the touchpad. The mouse may start to drift around the screen. If this does happen. Turn it off in the bios and only use an external. If you are already using an external then just turn it off in the bios.
                The docks can also go bad. It can wear the pins on the back of the laptop.
                Another Novice?
                Progress so far <-------*-> 88%
                Kenwood MPV5025 with Aux
                Via MII10000
                512MB Ram
                LG Slim DVD\CDRW
                Xenarc 700TS
                M1ATX
                Pharos GPS
                SYBA USB2.0 4-port Hub
                Bufalo 54Mbs Wirelessb/g PCMCIA card

Comment

Originally posted by Heckle0
                  One thing to warn you about.....
                  MY company has used those for a while and recently switched to newer dells and hp's. We had some problems with those laptops. Both the 600's and the 610's have the same issue.
                  There is a problem that may pop up with the touchpad. The mouse may start to drift around the screen. If this does happen. Turn it off in the bios and only use an external. If you are already using an external then just turn it off in the bios.
                  The docks can also go bad. It can wear the pins on the back of the laptop.
                  I've got a D600 (Pentium M) with the same problem. This appears to be common with many Dell laptops.
                  2004 4runner

Comment

Also be aware that it has WOL (Wake on Lan) which won't turn the PC on by shorting some pins from the network cable cause it's not Wake on Link it needs a network packet to be sent through to the laptop to start up and you would need a pocketpc or something to send this packet.

You do have the modem to wake the PC up which is good you can build a little circuit that rings on the modem to wake it up
                    CarPC Status:
                    GPS: 99%
                    Hardware: 99%
                    Software: 92%
                    Case Install: 99.9%
                    Dash Install: 100%
                    Car Install: 72%

Comment

Toshibas also have the wandering touchpad/pointing stick thing.

The C series Dells are pretty good systems (much better than the CPt's before them), but they sure seem to run hot in the dock.
                      JW