Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideal location for a temperature sensor??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideal location for a temperature sensor??

I'm going to be using Road Runner in my car and need to place the temperature sensors both inside and outside my car. I'm wondering where the best places are to place these sensors where they will give accurate readings without being affected by sunlight, moisture, etc? My biggest problem is the sunlight which seems to send WILDLY inaccurate readings until it 'cools' back down.

Where are the factory sensors located?? Are the insulated?

Thanks for the responses.
    Progress Meter:

[|||||!||||'] 95% complete

It's in... it's finally installed!!!! But never finished!

"It works! It works! I've finally invented something that works!" -- Doctor Emmit Brown

actually thats a very good question, I am about to mount a temp sensor outside of my car as well. I was thinking of somewhere around and underneath the trunk area, that way it wont get sunlight and it wont be affected by the temp of the engine. and I was reading somewhere that putting the sensor in to a small pipe filled with silicone would help even out the sensitivity.
    肚子笑痛了
    S60 Install

Comment

I was thinking about where to put the sensors too and I was thinking that the in-car one should be pretty near your head, maybe on top of the headrest if you can fab it in there, if not I think under the dash above the pedals might not be a bad spot, just make sure it's not too close to anything blowing cold or hot air towards it.

Comment

I have found that on the Peugeot 306 the external temp sensor is on the bottom of the passenger door mirror. Not sure if this helps, but thats where the factory put it!!!

Prem
        Re-boxed Dell Optiplex GX110 PIII 733 256Mb RAM
        Modified Sproggy PSU
        Custom made automatic start-up/ shut-down controller
        Dual 2.5" HDDs
        Laptop DVD Reader
        D-Link FM Radio
        5" PSOne LCD
        Installed and working. 75% complete.

Comment

good info I am going put long wires on mine and see where I get the best results.
          肚子笑痛了
          S60 Install

Comment

yeh my factory temp sensor is located on the underneath of passenger wing mirror
            CarPC status: iPod, 3,456,217 songs so **** you

Comment

Interesting place... wonder if this is where other cars keep them? Thanks for sharing. Is there any sort of insulation around the sensor?
              Progress Meter:

[|||||!||||'] 95% complete

It's in... it's finally installed!!!! But never finished!

"It works! It works! I've finally invented something that works!" -- Doctor Emmit Brown

Comment

same in Renault cars.

Comment

Originally posted by carpcnoobie
                  Interesting place... wonder if this is where other cars keep them? Thanks for sharing. Is there any sort of insulation around the sensor?
                  Not really, just looks like a pimple made out of plastic lol
                  CarPC status: iPod, 3,456,217 songs so **** you

Comment

IIRC the focus one is behind the front bumper plastic

edit: I could have picked something better for my 1000th post.. oh well
                    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

most cars are behind the front bumper, everyone I've seen actually. it must be out of the direct airflow when the car is moving & out of direct sunlight. The only issues with this location is that if your car is ideing for a long period of time it can get heat soaked & show slightly higher than actual. This WILL happen even with factory installs, but seams to be the best location...............
                      MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
                        most cars are behind the front bumper, everyone I've seen actually. it must be out of the direct airflow when the car is moving & out of direct sunlight.
                        Turbocad is right on! GM mounts theirs in front of the radiator behind the grille. Saab has also placed theirs there since they started using them in 1986, but they place theirs lower. Our TT and VW place them in the same locale as the Saabs.

Originally posted by turbocad6
                        The only issues with this location is that if your car is ideing for a long period of time it can get heat soaked & show slightly higher than actual. This WILL happen even with factory installs, but seams to be the best location...............
                        Again - spot on info! The manufacturers in recent years have applied logic to the temp reading. They sample the ambient temp sensor when sitting for extended periods but do not display the drastic temperature changes caused by heat radiating from the road as well as the cooling system/radiator. A nice piece of logic to apply to your creation, as well.
                        My first attempt at a carputer.

PM me if you're interested in a monitor faceplate for your '99-'04 Golf or Jetta. My Vortex ID is NorthAtlR32 - you can IM me there, too. Go here for more information.

Comment

outside temp sensor

On the Dodge Sprinter (05, not sure about the rest), the outside temp sensor is inside/behind the front license plate mount.

Comment

Working...
                          X