speaker noise when harddrive spins or mouse moves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speaker noise when harddrive spins or mouse moves

I just got my Morex 3688 case with a Epia M10000 and M1-ATX power supply last night. I got it all put together, the O/S loaded, and finally plugged in my desktop PC speakers to try it out. That's when I noticed quiet but annoying blips and other weird noises coming from the speakers. The noises seem to coincide with mouse movements, video redraws and the CD-ROM and hard-drives spinning.

The noises start long before the O/S loads, so I'm pretty sure it's not a driver problem.

For you experienced guys, does this sound like a grounding problem, or perhaps just some kind of EMF intereference and I need to find a way to shield or reroute cables? Or is this totally abnormal, and should I immediately RMA the board?

I've searched this board, Google and Viatech, and tho I've seen a couple similar reports, haven't been able to find any recommendations for resolving it.

Thanks,
    Meta
    ChadGoode.com - Miata MX-5 Carputer

ChadGoode.com - Nissan Frontier Truck-puter

Most problems of this kind occur when the audio ground is through the PC along with the power ground. Try it with your headunit or whatever you intend to use and groudn the audio to the same place as the audio is grounded in the car.

Comment

Try disabling microphone and other inputs in your sound settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew230
        Most problems of this kind occur when the audio ground is through the PC along with the power ground. Try it with your headunit or whatever you intend to use and groudn the audio to the same place as the audio is grounded in the car.
        if you are connecting the computer directly to an amp, how would you ground the rca-audio cables to the same spot as the amp?

Comment

Try disabling microphone and other inputs in your sound settings.
          As I said, the noise comes almost immediately after POST, long before Windows starts to load. I muted the Windows volume altogether, and still heard the buzzes.

However, that made me think about the volume setting of the speakers themselves. I reduced the actual volume of the speakers to just below where the noise could be heard. With that set on the speakers, I can set Window's Master and Wave volumes to about 50% and it's a comfortable listening level in the den.

I'll give it a shot in the Miata tomorrow night. Wish me luck! If it's anything like in the house, I'm not going to blow anyone away even at 100% volume. I just hope I can at least hear it with the top down.

Comment

I would suspect a PS or grounding issue, check all your wires for good connections and ground to one spot.
            TruckinMP3
            D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Originally posted by Meta
              I just got my Morex 3688 case with a Epia M10000 and M1-ATX power supply last night. I got it all put together, the O/S loaded, and finally plugged in my desktop PC speakers to try it out. That's when I noticed quiet but annoying blips and other weird noises coming from the speakers. The noises seem to coincide with mouse movements, video redraws and the CD-ROM and hard-drives spinning.

The noises start long before the O/S loads, so I'm pretty sure it's not a driver problem.

For you experienced guys, does this sound like a grounding problem, or perhaps just some kind of EMF intereference and I need to find a way to shield or reroute cables? Or is this totally abnormal, and should I immediately RMA the board?

I've searched this board, Google and Viatech, and tho I've seen a couple similar reports, haven't been able to find any recommendations for resolving it.

Thanks,
              Meta
              Hi

I have an EPIA 800 board, and have observed the same thing. I also notice a bunch of noise from the GPS communicating with satellites that starts at around the same time.

My audio gear is grounded perfectly (tested without PC, single, enormous, short ground, and electrically tested and valid), so I've put it down to interference and crosstalk on the motherboard itself.

However, once the car is moving, all natural noise floor and the actual music itself means that the noises are no longer an issue. It's only when the motor is off or things are all quiet that I notice it.

My solutions so far:

* Get rid of the mouse (I have a Xenarc TS, so I don't need it anyway)
              * I'd like to try a USB sound card, to see if that makes things better, but I haven't yet
              * Re GPS - I suspect that a change in USB GPS might be the answer, but I'm not too bothered at the moment - it doesn't penetrate the noise floor when music is playing anyway.

C!
              http://carpc.riposte.net
              I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

Weird. Must be something with my in-house setup, as the noises I heard aren't audible in the car. Even with the engine off and all is quiet, there's not a lick of cross-talk.

I just took my first test-drive with my carputer in the car. Too sweet! Everything works like a charm. Now to make it all pretty, hiding the wires, etc.

Thanks for your help!

-Meta

Comment

I had lots of noise from HD using onboard sound, as soon as i stuck a soundcard in it disapeared.....
                  Epia SP1300\512 ddr\40g 3.5" hd\cartft-touchscreen\GPS-destinator \M1-ATX\Audigy1\Linksys-wirelessB\anafekkingbigamptojblspkrs.

Comment

I had the same problem. What fixed it for me, was running a ground wire from the back of the computer case, one of the screws to the ground location on my car for everything else.

This then made it perfectly clean.

Hope this helps.

Bryan
                    2000 Yukon Denali
                    Shuttle SN65G2
                    Cel-D 2.4 GHZ 533mhz FSB
                    1GB PC800 Mem
                    Radeon9200 PRO
                    Seagate 120GB
                    ATI Remote
                    RF Mini Kb w/Trk Ball
                    7" Lilliput Touch Screen Monitor
                    USB 2.0 Hub
                    Rikaline GPS-6010
                    PN11 802.11b Wireless
                    XP Pro
                    750W Inverter

Comment

I use onboard sound it is great, no bad noise at all.
                      TruckinMP3
                      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

i have an m1-atx and just installed everything in my truck. I am using a usb sound blaster mp3+. i have noises (blips and static) from POST up until windows loads the drivers then it goes away. I think its very strange. Its probably a grounding issue though as my motherboard isnt grounded to anything directly.
                        System: AMD Duron 1200+ , 512 MB ram , usb sb mp3+ , Tview 7" touchscreen , M1-ATX PSU , Slot Load iMac DVD-Rom , 40 GB laptop HDD, netgear USB 802.11g

Progress: Installation: 90% Dash fabrication: 80%

Parts Needed: USB GPS

Comment

I've got the same problem with my new M1-ATX. As soon as the computer starts booting you can hear the drive spin up. Its really strange, and definitely not a ground loop issue. Ground loops manifest as a constant tone, this is literally modulated by the sound of the hard drive seeking. Its an older drive so it could be electrically noisy. I'll try a new one to see what happens.

Comment

I'm about to reinstall all my system, I've got everything behind the dash but the noise is awful! I can hear the drive spinning, my touchscreen inverter noise and everything.

I'm going to move the motherboard, Harddrives and power supplies into the rear.

Comment

I can't believe this is an M1-ATX problem, but I almost have to. This problem did NOT exist with an inverter and standard power supply.

UK: Moving it is not going to help. This isn't an RF interference problem. My stuff IS in the back of my vehicle right now, the noise is definitely being transmitted by the audio cables.

Comment

Working...
                              X