Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a voltage regulator

hi all

i think i'm going to go over my opus' 90W power rating (well soon, if i keep adding stuff). i was wondering where can i get a small and compact voltage regulator for +12V. thanks.
    AMD 1700 & Abit VA-10 w/ 512Mb PC3200 Corsair Ram
    60GB 7200rpm HD - Opus 150W PS - Lilliput 7" TS
    Panasonic Slot DVD - SD Audigy NX 2
    Phoenix Gold 5.1 MT Amp - 2 USB Hubs
    Hauppauge WinTv USB2 - Holux GPS - Belkin Bluetooth

What are you going to power off of it? How many amps will you draw?
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

i have a opus 90. i'm currently running my liilput, my epia computer, a 80mm fan, using it to power a slimDVD, GPS, external hub, usb NIC. It's also powering the remote lines of my amp and equalizer

i'm planning on adding a SB audigy2 and a Wintv USB PVR to it.

So i was thinking i could put the hub, WINTV PVR, SB Audigy on the line with the regulator. what hardware would i need for that? Thanks

Comment

Well, first of all, that mostly 5v, not 12v
        1984 BMW 323i (E30)
        [==========] 90%
        EPIA MII10000
        256MB RAM
        40GB 2,5" HD
        Lilliput 7" TS
        Hacked Travla C134
        Haicom CF GPS

Comment

all of it is 12V except the WINTv USB (that's only 6V) i would still use a +12V line for that and get converter (forgot what it's called) to convert the 12V to 6V... i have it done for my homemade garage remote control.

i'm just concerned that i'm drawing too much from the opus, and want to just use another source to power the peripherals. check out the pic.

Basically i need a regulator that will just keep the voltage within 12V -/+ ?V (just to keep the sensitive electronics happy) I don't need a shutdown controller or anything because the relay(opus powered) will turn on and off the devices.

So here's how i plan it'll work. I turn on the car, the opus powers up and then 'LineA'(HDD molux power cable) will trip the relay and that will let the regulated power go to the peripheral electronics.

I just need to know where to get a nice compact voltage regulator. Thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

Why don't you check to see if you're exceeding the power specs?

Try these power calculators I found from searching on "power calculators":

http://www.mini-box.com/powersimulator.html
            http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
            http://www.mymp3car.com/MP3Car/PSUpower.asp

You may find out that you aren't exceeding the specs and don't need to go through the effort. Your biggest power draws are the Epia and the Lilli and it falls off pretty quickly from there.
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I know that these are low-draw items, but the fan definately does not need to be ran off of the clean 12v supply, the hub probably does not need exactly 12 either (but not sure on this), and the remote lines, why not run them from the head unit remote on?

I put one of those computer fans on at around 50 volts once, and believe it or not, it held up. Got too close to it though, and it bit me!

Like I said, this doesnt really save you any power, but may as well not put on extra stuff that you dont need on the clean 12, you know?

Matt

Comment

Working...
              X