No announcement yet.

Charging ipod with Carputer

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging ipod with Carputer

I have a ipod and planning to use the SendStation PocketDock to connect it to my car. The PocketDock has a 3.5mm lineout and firewire port. I figure I could use the lineout to connect to the sound system while charging the ipod through the firewire port.

Here is the questions, will the firewire port continues to charge my ipod after I turned off my car and the computer shutted down? I do not want to drain my battery.
    Honda Lagreat Carputer Project. Mobile Entertainment

Full Spec for mods check out:

depends if the firewire stays powered - obviously. If you leave the PSU running in standby then possibly but the only way to know is to check your setup. Most people rig their PSU to be fully isolated when the Pc shuts down to stop killing their battery.

1. Plug your firewire into the iPod.
      2. Turn off you computer.
      3. Look at the iPod screen to see if it says "Charging..."
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

iPODs will automatically stop charging when they are full. An iPOD will not drain your battery. The BMW iPOD adapter continuously charges the iPOD.