Enable SPDIF on EPIA M10000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enable SPDIF on EPIA M10000

I have the EPIA M10000 mobo and have the PG octane R5.1M amp.
    currently its just hooked up to the audio input via rca because i cannot get it to work with the SPDIF input on the mobo.
    I have the coaxal => optical converter and true 75ohm SPDIF cable to the SPDIF input on the mobo. I have a toslink cable running from the converter to the toslink input on the amp.
    I went to advance options in volume control and set it for SPDIF.
    I also changed the input of the amp settings to optical.
    There is no sound at all.

I also tried to use coaxal input on the amp to the SPDIF on the mobo. still no sound.
    I made sure that the EPIA jumper is on SPDIF-SEL.

I installed AC3 and set it up for SPDIF.
    There is no sound when playing Mp3s.
    I have not tried to play a dvd yet.

On the blue screen for the PG octane setup screen, i press input and it will continuously blink when set to optical or coaxal. im guessing its not picking up any signal from the mobo.

can anyone help?

help please.

Comment

I had this problem once and got working. I don't remember how I fixed it though. Have you got the 4in1 drivers installed?
      EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumkingpin
        ...because i cannot get it to work with the SPDIF input on the mobo.
        I have the coaxal => optical converter and true 75ohm SPDIF cable to the SPDIF input on the mobo...
        Btw, you kept on mentioning "SPDIF input on the mobo" although from your explaination of the problem you were having I got an impression that you realized that the SPDIF jack on the mobo was actually for sound output.

Was it just a typo?
        EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

Comment

sorry, my mistake.

Comment

i downloaded the latest audio drivers from VIA's site.
            when i try using toslink optical mode i get nothing.
            then when i try using coaxal, it gives distorted sound on and off.

Comment

Control Panel -> Sounds -> in the device volumes box click advanced.

Windows Volume will open - click Option -> Properties, tick everything for playback,
              click options again and make sure the advanced properties is ticked in the main menu.
              this is will show Advanced buttons under certain volumes, cliking one of these advanced buttons will bring up a screen with the option to enable SP_Dif

Nick

Comment

Did you set the jumper on the motherboard to enable SPDIF ? the RCA port on the motherboard has two funtctions determined by setting a jumper. It does Composite video out and Digital sound out. If you have not set the jumper then you must.
                -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

@antimatter: he did.

@titaniumkingpin: you don't happen to be using RadioShack's converter, do you? I used it once and it was distorted. For testing, I ended up connecting the digital output from the mobo directly to home surround receiver's digital input and it worked. Perhaps you could try doing the same thing.

Comment

im not using radioshacks. i got a optical - coaxal converter from trianglecables.com
                    i also got a true 75 ohm phoenix gold coaxal cable.
                    i tried both coaxal and optical modes with no success.
                    i read that VIA's manual was wrong on jumper settings. it says on the manual that jumpers 1-2 need to be shorted. i read somewhere that it was jumpers 3-4 so i tried that and i get distorted sound when in coaxal mode but still nothing in optical.

Do i NEED to have AC3 in order to get sound? I'm supposed to get sound even without AC3, right?

Comment

When you say you are using the RCA audio, I assume that mean the mobo line-out to the amp's stero RCA line-in?

If that's the case, why not a SPDIF RCA from the mobo into the co-ax digital-in on the amp?

Comment

Originally posted by froop
                        When you say you are using the RCA audio, I assume that mean the mobo line-out to the amp's stero RCA line-in?

If that's the case, why not a SPDIF RCA from the mobo into the co-ax digital-in on the amp?

i tried exactly that and i get very very distorted sound that cuts out and comes back for a second or two then cuts out again.

i really have no idea what i can possibly be doing wrong.

Comment

bump

Comment

Have you been able to determine that both components (mobo & converter) are in perfect working condition? If not then I suggest you do just that. For the mobo, do a direct connection to a device with a digital to analog converter and see if you get undistorted sound. A surround receiver of such device.

As for the converter, see if you can connect it to a, for example, a dvd player (home/portable/etc) which has a digital output then connect it to a sound receiver. See if you can get good sound through this.

Hopefully this helps you isolate the problem.

Comment

@titaniumkingpin@
                              I've this problem, I've solved by set yhe jumper mobo at contrarily like the pdf manual! I must set whit 3 & 4 pin!
                              The sound go whit AC3 and whit MP3, but If you want to regulate the volume you must regolate the Wave slider, whit frontend like mediacar the only volume can regulate there is the "front" that not work whit spdif but only whit analog output!
                              --------------------------------
                              ITALIANI: DISPONIBILI MODULI OEM GPS:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...214#post639214
                              --------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X