Hot glovebox intsall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot glovebox intsall

Tonight i took my first real test drive with my pc installed in my truck. I have been working on the install for a few weeks now. Its not fully complete , but it is the coolest thing I have ever seen. well almost...
    my pc is installed in the glovebox of my f-150. i opened it to see how it was running and my heatsink was HOT. i think it may be cause i had the heater on. I have one case fan mounted in my dash , but it doesnt seem to provide much airflow. I really dont want to cut a big hole on the outside of my glovebox to install another fan.

Any one have any ideas on how to cool it down?
    System: AMD Duron 1200+ , 512 MB ram , usb sb mp3+ , Tview 7" touchscreen , M1-ATX PSU , Slot Load iMac DVD-Rom , 40 GB laptop HDD, netgear USB 802.11g

Progress: Installation: 90% Dash fabrication: 80%

Parts Needed: USB GPS

small flexible hose with a fan attached. Run the hose thru your dash and down below it to get the colder air. I did this during the summer for my install.
    Tidder

Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

what kind of hose did you use/ where did you get it? Ideally it would have to be around 80mm for a fan to be attached
      System: AMD Duron 1200+ , 512 MB ram , usb sb mp3+ , Tview 7" touchscreen , M1-ATX PSU , Slot Load iMac DVD-Rom , 40 GB laptop HDD, netgear USB 802.11g

Comment

Sorry for takin' so long to get back, I used small hose like that goes to a clothes dryer, just smaller. Found it at home depot, have no idea what it's real application is for.
        Tidder

Try RevFE
        The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Your heatsink will get hot no matter what.
          Uunless it is so hot your PC starts misbehaving, I would run for a while. If you have the ability to monitor CPU temp(some bioses do) try running it and driving around, check the temps periodically.
          EPIA M10000, 512 Ram, Opus 90, GPS, XM, 7" Xenarc, Pioneer HU
          Installed & Working....
          Custom enclosures
          Newbie Guide

Comment

usually cpu temp is around 50 - 54 C. i forgot the heater on for a long time once and it got to 64 C. no abnormal behavior that I can see, just worried it may cause damage.

Comment

i'd probably use some insulation to keep the heat from the outside away from the glove compartment then i'd mount an big exhaust fan on the back or side. and if you could have an intake that is piped to the outside (or at least away from the heater) so it only sucks in cool air.
              New System in progress:
              M10k
              Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
              Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
              Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
              Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
              Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
              My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by meyer64
                usually cpu temp is around 50 - 54 C. i forgot the heater on for a long time once and it got to 64 C. no abnormal behavior that I can see, just worried it may cause damage.
                That's not too bad (assuming you're not overclocking, which would just be stupid ). You're pretty safe from any damage until you get up into high 70 ~ 80C. If you're not getting errors, I wouldn't worry too much, though of course cooler is better.

Comment

The problem I found with mounting in a glove box was that mine was shaped like a valley with both ends closed. Even though hot air rises, if cooler air cannot be drawn in to replace the hot air, then the hot air will just sit there, causing temperatures to rise. One way to correct this is to provide ventilation holes as close to the bottom as possible allowing cooler air to enter to displace the warmer air as it rises (convection). Mine runs alot cooler with no fans even in summer.
                  System:
                  Epia M1000 w/512MB PC2100, Xenarc 700TS, ATI 7500 PCI, OPUS 150 PSU, 2.5 40GB 5400 HDD, 802.11g PCI, Slim Slot DVDR,
                  Gyration RF Kybrd, OBDII adpt. + sftwr, XP pro, iGuidance/Royaltek GPS NAV, XMPCR, Kenwd KAC-8401 4 chnl amp, 10" pwd sub

Comment

got mine in the glovebox, too. After about 2 hours, the ambient air temp got up to 103F (39C). I'm wondering if I need to add a couple of fans, especially with summer coming fast...
                    CarPC #3: 99% Complete
                    Pentium M 1.7Ghz, 1GB DDR2 RAM
                    DVD/CD-RW installed in dash below monitor
                    OEM LCD relocated for 7" Touchscreen
                    Wi-Fi, GPS, PS2 controllers...
                    500+ full albums
                    4,000+ video games
                    music videos, movies, & more!
                    old carPC

Comment

Originally, I added two fans. The first fan pulled cool air in from the cabin while the second blew hot air out the top behind the dash. This didn't do much good.

I recently rearranged my fan and have seen very dramatic improvements. I put both fans on the same plane. The first fan pulls cool cabin air from the bottom on the right side of the glove while the second blows hot air out the bottom on the left side. This provides for excellent circulation and keeps my temps very steady now, regardless of outside temp.
                      CarPC #3: 99% Complete
                      Pentium M 1.7Ghz, 1GB DDR2 RAM
                      DVD/CD-RW installed in dash below monitor
                      OEM LCD relocated for 7" Touchscreen
                      Wi-Fi, GPS, PS2 controllers...
                      500+ full albums
                      4,000+ video games
                      music videos, movies, & more!
                      old carPC

Comment

Working...
                      X