VIA EPIA locks up w/USB DVD drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA EPIA locks up w/USB DVD drive

I've got a via Epia M10000, sometimes it'll boot and sometimes it will lock up at the POST. I'm wondering if anyone has has this issue ?? I haven't updated the BIOS to the new version but I'm going to take the PC out of my car and try it.. the thing that bothers me about VIA's site is that it doesn't tell you what changes they made or fixes the new BIOS has... It's very frustrating...

Edit: The reason why it's locking has something to do with the USB dvd player because immediatly when I unplug the DVD player it'll boot up..
    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
    Via EPIA MII
    512MB RAM
    OEM GPS (embedded)
    nLite WinXP pro on
    1GB Extreme III CF card
    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Yea this is a tough one. If you've narrowed down the problem to your USB port, I would usually recommend a BIOS update. But, ff you've already tried that, then try to ENABLE USB LEGACY SUPPORT in your BIOS. USB can be REAL flaky at times.

Comment

I have the same problem, but haven't overcome it yet. Theres next to no USB options in the BIOS for the M10000.

If i find a cure i will let you know, but if you find a cure - please let me know.
      We are, will have and forever will be...
      But not tommorrow!

Comment

You might also try and update the FIRMWARE on your drive....

There's a good chance it doesn't play well with certain chipsets and firmware upgrades are readily availabe on the manufacturers website.

Comment

Try plugging it into one of the USB headers on the motherboard. So far it seems to be working for me.
          But not tommorrow!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, You know I never even thought of a firmware update on the CD drive.... I'll keep you all posted...
            Via EPIA MII
            512MB RAM
            OEM GPS (embedded)
            nLite WinXP pro on
            1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

Yup, none of these suggestions have worked aparently my DVD device doesn't have firmware (Addonics Pocket Drive DVD-CDRW) I've confirmed this with addonics. I've updated my systems BIOS to 1.35 (Via EPIA MII 10000) I'm contacting VIA next but this really is a bummer 230.00 DVD drive and its probably not "compatible" with this system board... GRRRRRRRRR
              Via EPIA MII
              512MB RAM
              OEM GPS (embedded)
              nLite WinXP pro on
              1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

Did you find out what the problem was here?

Asking because another user is having a similar issue: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gene...-problems.html
                Jan Bennett
                FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Yes

The problem was because the USB ports on the VIA board were not supplying the drive withthe correct amount of juice.. I never used the drive again.. What a waste of money..
                  Via EPIA MII
                  512MB RAM
                  OEM GPS (embedded)
                  nLite WinXP pro on
                  1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

I've been using a Panasonic slot-load dvd drive that has a loopback USB connector for extra power and has ben working fine. I don't know if you can buy those sort of cables by themselves, but it may solve your issue and enable you to use your drive again.
                    But not tommorrow!

Comment

Working...
                    X