Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody using the Griffin RadioShark?

Hi..

I was looking for a way to add radio capabilities to a car pc. There are quite a few fm receivers, but I need AM to hear traffic reports and news. The only AM/FM receiver for PC which I have found is the Griffin RadioShark.

I'm not sure if it will fit the bill, becasue it has an internal antenna and will therefore have to be modified for an external antenna jack.

I was wondering. Is anybody using this device? How hard is it to modify? How is the software? And what is your general impression of it?

Thanks
    Steve
    Why would anybody want to be stuck driving with a roof over their head?

Ragtops all the way!

I have one but have not installed in the car yet. I am planning on adapting my AM/FM antena from the car to a mini jack wich the griffin has for an external antena. Besides that the reception is good.

Comment

Oh it has an external jack? Nice. I'll have to order one
      Why would anybody want to be stuck driving with a roof over their head?

Ragtops all the way!

Comment

Yes the site says that headphones or a headphone extension cord works good as an antena and it does.

Comment

How can you connect the headphone jack to your car antenna then?

Comment

I had a radioxtreme, and just bought radioShark... haven't hooked up anything to the headphone jack yet, but the reception is already better than what I got with radioxtreme.

Comment

I'm just curious... after reading this thread, I looked around at the radioShark to find more info... first off, does it feed its audio through the USB cable or does it have an audio out cord to plug into the sound card? I will be running XMPCR and will have that plugged into my sound card... I do have a solution for multiple audio sources but would be nice to have things as streamlined as possible. Also, do any of the frontends support radioShark usage? Thanks in advance.
              Coach... aka Randy! (I often forget who I really am!) ;)

***Too many pieces and parts to list... maybe someday I'll show'm to ya!***

Comment

i have both xm PCR and radioshark, but will probably unload my XM if I get decent functionality out of radioShark... radioShark has both line out (for headphones), and sends the audio through USB to the PC.

Playing around with it, I can't pick up AM stations worth crap. Anyone else have any luck with AM?

Comment

i connected the radioshark to my car atenna ...and hid the radioshark in the trunk ...

the reception is hopeless.... i can't get anything unless i'm terribly close to the FM antenna .... yeah, u heard that right.... i'm like probably less than 2 KM from the broadcast antenna...

where do you guys mount the radioShark? in the passenger cabin ?

my bad reception could be due to the fact that I have encased it in the trunk .... but then again, I have connected the external antenna to it...

Comment

Originally posted by coachreed
                    I'm just curious... after reading this thread, I looked around at the radioShark to find more info... first off, does it feed its audio through the USB cable or does it have an audio out cord to plug into the sound card? I will be running XMPCR and will have that plugged into my sound card... I do have a solution for multiple audio sources but would be nice to have things as streamlined as possible. Also, do any of the frontends support radioShark usage? Thanks in advance.
                    <> The RadioShark can pipe audio through the USB port -AND- through a 1/8" headphonejack that doubles as an FM antena.

<> Currently, no other frontends support the radioshark.
                    See http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ght=radioshark for some review comments.
                    •Micke

Comment

You can also get the RadioShark @ Comp USA now. I saw 3 on the shelf at my local store.
                      TruckPC - gutted, being used for test setup
                      BoatPC - All in 1 in cuddy, N7 using VNC on dash, RR
                      BlazerPC - Nexus 7 with Timur's USBROM

Comment

I just got this yesterday after getting fed up with dlink reception. The dlink worked, but it didn't get a couple stations I wanted (too far away?).

I took it apart, and here is what's inside:

The AM Antenna consists of your standard insulated copper looping, maybe 50 times around a small triangle in the center of the device. One side is hooked to the system ground, the other is the feed. - Very thin wire

The FM Antenna is a partially trianglular shaped thicker wire all around the unit. It doesn't use a ground.

It uses the MICRONAS UAC3556B (UAC 355xB series) ADC/DAC's to transmist audio through the USB at up to 44/48khz. This specific chip has an 8k programmable area, don't know why.

The TUNER portion with integrated microcontroller (and fuzzy logic tuning), is a PHILIPS TEA5757HL STR. Together, they seem to work well

I deleted the AM portion of it, and used the ground to sheild a coax with the FM lead in the center. It went out to a regular coax connecter so I can now hook up any antenna I want. Will be doing some more testing tonight hopefully.

You can make the AM portion better by using a bigger, external antenna. You could do this in addition to the FM section, but you should use different grounds. I deleted the AM because I never would use it (my right wing nut neighbor might), and it's ground was RIGHT next to the FM antenna header. You could possibly use the ground from the USB bus to sheild the whole thing as well as isolate the FM into an external connector or pigtail.

I also have a DLINK Radio for sale, cheap!

91 Stealth RT/TT
                        CarPuter: Inspiron 5150 P4 3.0ghz; Built-in WiFi; Deluo GPS; Radio Shark; OBD1; Nostromo Speedpad
                        Audio: Audigy 2 NX; Clarion 500.5 amp; 100.2 center channel amp; Kicker Solo-baric L7 10" Sub
                        Display: Lilliput 7" Touchscreen

Comment

[QUOTE=grepzenCurrently, no other frontends support the radioshark.[/QUOTE]

I emailed Griffin support asking about an SDK. Apparently they are working on it, and it should be released after the next version of Mac software is released. But based on the time it took from announcing he Radioshark to releasing it, I'm not holding my breath!

Comment

Working...
                          X