Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP QUICK!! CPU Fan ??

Hi All,
    Ok, I got everything in order tonight and turned the power on for the first time. It went to post with a single beep which I think is good (right?), but the fan that is on top of the heatsink did not turn on. It only has on 3 pronged cord coming off it (black, red, yellow) which I plugged into the CPU fan on the motherboard. I turned the computer off right away so that I don't fry anything.
    Does the CPU fan go off and on by itself, or should it be on all the time? Should I try powering it on longer to see if it comes on?
    Thanks for the help!!
    Spent so far: $1,755
    Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
    CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
    Don't mess with Texas.
    It's not nice to pick on retards!

The CPU fan should be running, even if only at low speeds, whenever the computer is powered on.

Comment

Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the reply. Now I need to do some troubleshooting.
      Anyone have some suggestions on where to start?
      CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
      Don't mess with Texas.

Comment

Not sure what all you've looked at, but make sure it's plugged in correctly to the fan header on the motherboard.

Do you have another pc that you can plug the fan into on one of the auxiliary fan headers to see if the fan works at all?

Comment

Yes, but it's a b**ch to get the heatsink off. If all else fails, I'll try that tomorrow. I rechecked the plug, and it seems fine.
          Don't mess with Texas.

Comment

Ok, tried some more stuff and got it working now. Thanks for the info Cletus. It just needed a little jump start!
            Don't mess with Texas.

Comment

Any time!

Just make sure it isn't gonna need a jump start once you put the case door back on

Processor no likey

Comment

UPDATE:
                So it was working just fine for a while. Then the fan turned off. Then it won't restart when the computer does. The CPU temp was about 120 degrees F. I am done trying to mess with it for the night. I got the OS (WinXP) loaded and that is working fine. Will get this fan thing worked out tomorrow...
                Any suggestions would help. Thanks.
                Don't mess with Texas.

Comment

A long shot but try unplugging the fan from the mobo and reversing it. Is this an Epia?
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

get a new fan.

Comment

Buy a new fan and plug in that mobo FAN connector to see if that work.
                      OR unplug the FAN connector (CPU FAN) and connect it to a different connector (CASE FAN?)
                      2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                      89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                      Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                      RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                      EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
                        Is this an Epia?
                        Nope, Chaintech. The plug is set up to only go in one way.
                        Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try plugging the case fan into the CPU fan plug and see how that works. Will keep y'all posted.
                        Cheers.
                        Don't mess with Texas.

Comment

UPDATE: I plugged the case fan to the CPU plug and it worked fine. I will be taking the PC to the shop that I bought some of the parts through and see what they say.
                          Don't mess with Texas.

Comment

wow, who buys computer parts at a shop?? havent done that in ages.
                            PC Components:
                            Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                            My work log

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples
                              wow, who buys computer parts at a shop?? havent done that in ages.
                              There is a shop here in town that is run by a real nice guy. He does a deal where he marks up Newegg's price by 10%, but gives you free support a replacement for a year. So I ordered a few of my parts through him to get the support. Worked well too... I took in my computer and it turns out the fan that newegg sent was dead, so he grabbed a nice one off the shelf, threw it on, and didn't charge me anything. Thats alot better then having to take the heatsink out, send it back to newegg, wait for them to get it, them wait for them to send me a new one.
                              Don't mess with Texas.

Comment

Working...
                              X