No announcement yet.

Recommendations on the fastest mobo & processor that can be used with opus 150

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations on the fastest mobo & processor that can be used with opus 150

I am redoing my system, and I can't figure out by searching what everyone has and searching all the mobo out there (theres a few out there). I decided againsta shuttle because I found this cube case by ASUS that will fit a full size mobo and has slots for 4 cards which I love. But I don't wnat to buy anything that I can't use with a DC-DC power supply. My first attempt was with an inverter and was a hassle and more expensive. I had an AMD that required way too much power, but was fast as hell, like 10 second boot and loved it. It looks like the P4s have low power draw, the amd mobiles seem to have it too, but I can't come up with a combo. Not a pro on building a computer, or understanding specs that well on mobo. Any help, or if anyone runs a fast pc off an opus 150, let me know.
    thanks

Edit: The cube case I was talking about was the Antec Aria Cube Case
    Round VIII - [IIIIIIIIII] 30% Have some parts for 300zx Sema car I don't own yet. Will have 10.4" & 7" screen, and more then you can believe. Will add updates to cleancustoms.com, will be sweet. My car is still same, but might change.

regular P4s draw as much or more then regular athlons. I run a regular 2 ghz athlon off my OPUS 150 with mAtx motherboard w/ embedded geforce, 7200 rpm hard drive just fine. Only draws about 90 watts with processor usage at 100%.
    StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
    Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
    The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

The case I was talking about that I called Asus is really made by or called Antec Aria, and fits a normal size mobo with 3 slots plus the vga slot. I don't get much help from the guys at frys about power consumption. What is it that draws the power, is it the board or the processor? That is something I don't understand. I know the processor draws alot, but do some boards just draw a hell of alot more. I guess Im confused because some people use the inverter instead of the opus, and I don't know why they would do that. I assume because the opus doesn't have enough power, but power for what. If you tell me a P4 will work with an opus, then why won't other boards work. I hope that all makes sense. I looked at the boards below.

My other and most important thing is how fast a computer boots. What spec on a computer will tell you if it boots fast. I used to have a board and an AMD processor that was fast as hell, but I don't know how to choose a board that I know will boot fast, or is that the processor.

Intel 865
      Abit SG-72
      ECS KSM motherboard

Antec Cube case
      Cube Case
      Round VIII - [IIIIIIIIII] 30% Have some parts for 300zx Sema car I don't own yet. Will have 10.4" & 7" screen, and more then you can believe. Will add updates to cleancustoms.com, will be sweet. My car is still same, but might change.

Comment

Originally posted by clean customs
        The case I was talking about that I called Asus is really made by or called Antec Aria, and fits a normal size mobo with 3 slots plus the vga slot. I don't get much help from the guys at frys about power consumption. What is it that draws the power, is it the board or the processor? That is something I don't understand. I know the processor draws alot, but do some boards just draw a hell of alot more. I guess Im confused because some people use the inverter instead of the opus, and I don't know why they would do that. I assume because the opus doesn't have enough power, but power for what. If you tell me a P4 will work with an opus, then why won't other boards work. I hope that all makes sense. I looked at the boards below.

My other and most important thing is how fast a computer boots. What spec on a computer will tell you if it boots fast. I used to have a board and an AMD processor that was fast as hell, but I don't know how to choose a board that I know will boot fast, or is that the processor.
        The CPU is the biggest variable in the power draw. The more powerful the CPU, the more power it will draw, basically. Motherboards with newer chipsets that have newer features would draw more power than older, simpler ones, as well. These are just general rules.

There's nothing on the CPU box or motherboard box that's going to tell you how much power it will consume. I just looked at a P4 3Ghz and two different motherboards I have in my office. You're going to have to do some research.
        For example, with a quick trip to Intel's website, I found this spec sheet for the first board you have listed:
        ftp://download.intel.com/design/moth...h/C5942707.pdf
        According to this document, the board consumes 190W minimum with 310W peak. I'm reasonably certain that's with a CPU installed with a HDD and optical drive attached, althought he document doesn't say.

There is no spec to tell you how fast a computer boots. That's because different users set their systems up a different way. You're looking for a magical number that doesn't exist.

Suggestions to improve boot time:
        - Enable QUICK BOOT in your BIOS.
        - Enable fast RAM check.
        - Disable any unused devices (serial ports, parallel ports, unused onboard NIC or audio) in the BIOS.
        - Turn off auto-detection of IDE channels where there are no IDE devices in the BIOS.
        - Turn off floppy seek
        - In Windows, use MSCONFIG to remove any unnecessary programs from loading when Windows starts.
        - Turn off any unnecessary services so that they don't load.

You're looking for something that's going to be on the instant you've applied power to it, like a lightbulb. Sorry, compadre, but a computer doesn't work that way. It's got a lot more to do than simply react to the power that's applied to it.
        If you want that sort of 'instant-on', you need to look at embedded systems with the appropriate embedded windows. That's going to give you what you want, but, frankly, I think that's going to be WAAAAAAY over your head, based on the knowledge & experience you've displayed in your short time posting here. Hell, I've been a PC jockey for over 15 years and can literally build them blindfolded and embedded stuff is over my head.
        I could be wrong, though.

Good luck.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Mobile athlon (damn quick and lower power) and nforce2 IGP board (onboard geforce 4MX will do 800x480 resolution and is more than enough for DVD and visualisations) - 'nuff said!

EDIT: on board grpahics will save you some power i believe compared to an AGP card and the mobile athlon can be underlocked if you are using too much power/getting to hot, or overclocked if you really need to.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
            You're looking for something that's going to be on the instant you've applied power to it, like a lightbulb. Sorry, compadre, but a computer doesn't work that way. It's got a lot more to do than simply react to the power that's applied to it.
            If you want that sort of 'instant-on', you need to look at embedded systems with the appropriate embedded windows. That's going to give you what you want, but, frankly, I think that's going to be WAAAAAAY over your head, based on the knowledge & experience you've displayed in your short time posting here. Hell, I've been a PC jockey for over 15 years and can literally build them blindfolded and embedded stuff is over my head.
            I could be wrong, though.

Good luck.
            You must have misunderstood, Im not looking for instant on, or lighting speed, Im looking for non Via M10000 speeds. But its been along time since I bought a machine, and never bought a machine for anything more then mentor graphics, and to run specific software packages, and thats been awhile. I have never worried or cared about power consumption, cards, or even speakers on my desktop until recently. Believe it or not, embedded systems was my EE concentration at CSU, but irrelevant anyway. Thanks for the info though.

Comment

Working...
            X