Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'....

I just thought that I would post about this since I know it's a MAJOR concern for a lot of people.

being down here in South Padre Island, Texas for the second largest car/truck/bike/sound-off show in the state (next to Texas Heat Wave in Austin), I'm running my car in the Sound Quality portion with USACi. Part of the judging process for sound quality is an SPL run. I was quite worried about an SPL run with the computer in the car. I had driven the carPC hard before with a MP3 for an SPL test, but not a CD...

I got up to the lanes, and put the SPL CD in my Teac dvd drive, and burped it.

For those of you who aren't familiar with how SPL comps work, here's a quick run down...

You have 30 seconds. You have to use the CD that they have provided, or a Cd that has the official USACi logo on it. You don't play music. You play either a sweep (if you aren't sure about what the resonant frequency of your car) or a specific frequency. I play a specific frequency since I know the resonant frequency of my car. (52-53 Hz).

Keep in mind that my CD player isn't exactly shock mounted....in fact it's pretty friggin rigid....I didn't want to lose any points on the mounting there. I ended up hitting a 141.X (will know for sure once I get my score sheet tonight). Yeah, it did skip, but it didn't crash, and it was obviously enough to hit pretty damn hard for an SQ vehicle. Most SQ vehicles do good to hit mid 130s....

anyways, I just thought I would try and settle some worries about shock protection. Now keep in mind that I can't know for sure just what the damage to my hard drive is, but the fact is that the computer didn't crash, and it took a pretty hardy beating...

=]
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Congrats on those numbers Red, you have the right to be proud

oh, and thx for the info
    List of front-ends/usefull apps
    XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

And in another thread we had someone claiming that CarPC can't compete with a dedicated headunit... If I didn't like my head unit so damn much (the colors) I'd probably be trying to get rid of it too.

Oh, and since I am no expert in car audio competition, if you know your resonant frequency, can't you just put a notch filter in and cut it out? Or do the competition tests not allow something like that? As far as sound quality (the regular music CD's, not the sweeps) that should be a bit of an improvement, especially when you get caugh offguard with yet another rap song.
      I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Comment

141db is pretty good. Here in Oz it used to be that if you got 130db or over you got max points for SPL. Not sure what it is now tho. How does the scoring system work over there?
        Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

wow frigin sweet i would love to do that.. im seriaouslyt hinking of selling the HU and jsut using car pc and lcd touch screen.

*drool

wish i knew enough :'(

Comment

couldnt you have the cd rom dump the entire disk to a solid state media such as USB card and then play through that. like shock protection thats built into a disk man it reads ahead and doesnt actually play off the cd but off a buffer

Comment

Originally posted by paradoxblue
              wow frigin sweet i would love to do that.. im seriaouslyt hinking of selling the HU and jsut using car pc and lcd touch screen.

*drool

wish i knew enough :'(
              all the info you need to do it... is here.
              Is this where the witty comment goes?
              97 Black pearl Mazda Miata MX-5 Carpc V2? maybee..

Comment

Originally posted by 88hondapreludes
                couldnt you have the cd rom dump the entire disk to a solid state media such as USB card and then play through that. like shock protection thats built into a disk man it reads ahead and doesnt actually play off the cd but off a buffer
                that would be against the rules of USACi.....

the media has to come from the CD
                Jan Bennett
                FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Haha ...funny you mention it. My carputer used to crash all the time when I'd bump the system. In my G20 my setup reached 146dB and woah was it loud. The computer would skip sometimes and shutdown (this is playing MP3s by the way) ...turned out the problem was the voltage was dropping because the amps were suckin it all up.

Anyway - 141 is dam impressive for an SQ vehicle. What's more impressive is the attention to detail in your install! good stuff - keep it coming!
                  Check out my SQ Competition carputer install

Comment

good to see you are still around red....
                    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Working...
                    X