Carputer Location

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer Location

Hey all, Anyone ever put their carputer in the engine compartment? It looks like the best spot for me, I have no worries about keeping it cool, but the vibrations are another thing. What do you all think?? Thanks
    It's not what you buy............It's what you build

vibrations wouldn't be much worse in there than they would inside the car.

I still think you're crazy tho.
    My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Well as long as heat/moisture/interference isn't a problem, you sould be fine.
      1984 BMW 323i (E30)
      [==========] 90%
      EPIA MII10000
      256MB RAM
      40GB 2,5" HD
      Lilliput 7" TS
      Hacked Travla C134
      Haicom CF GPS

Comment

I'd woory more about humidity and dust when putting the carputer in the engine compartment.
        Like said before, I assume, vibrations are the same as in the inside the car.
        Stage 1:[||||||||||||||||||||] 100%

Epia M10000, Lilliput 7' TS (modded), Teac DV28-SL, Globalsat BU-303, Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm, 512 MB pc3200, M1-ATX, Kenwood KDC-W6527SE

Comment

I thought about this too, or under the car in my spare wheel bay! As long as it isn't mounted to the engine the guys who say the bibrations shold be ok are right i guess. The heat and moiture and dirt would be a concern for me though. As might electrical noise if it is near the ignition coil.

Comment

Why wont heat be a problem? It gets very hot in there. Unless you have a plan to deal with that then i'd say it will overheat.
            2.4 celeron
            150 watt OPUS
            micro atx
            xp pro
            tv/radio tuner card
            audigy
            Dual monitor Radeon
            802.11G Mimo
            xm pcr
            dvd
            gps
            8" Lilliput touch screen
            IGuidance
            dual optimas
            battery isolator
            15" screen
            My Truck

Comment

i was assuming he'd build an airtight enclosure and run air to it ... you'd almost have to to keep it clean and dry.
              My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Yea, Deff an air tight encloser, Liquid cooled componets flowing through a 2004 Silverado fuel chiller on the transfer case. 1" Liquitight Conduit from the computer to the firewall. At least thats my idea anyhoo......

My only other place is under the back seat, And I only have about 3 inch of Height under there, Not much for full sized componets.

Comment

Not to flame, but why?!?
                  Youre planning to fit a regular tower PC in there?

There has to be another alternative (glovebox, center console)...
                  My first carPC!
                  MP3/CD player
                  Celeron 633MHz - 10GB Seagate - 64MB PC100 - Win XP

Soon to actually find its way into the car!

Comment

No, Not really. The cab dosn't have a lot of extra room. Small glove box, small center console. No room behind seats, Hvac ducts under front seats. Compact dash. Like I said, Its the 3" under the rear seat, or somehere outside the cab..........

Comment

i know this is a weird suggestion, but how about inside the seats? I mean, there's a chunk of unused seat directly below your armrest, right? So why not try and fashion a cubby hole within that space, somewhere that you could easily slip a small form factor pc into. I mean, I figure any computer that you think is suitable to fit in the engine compartment has gotta be able to fit inside the cab too. Either way, it'll be
                      Planning Meter I--->-I: 80%
                      Install Meter I-----I: 0%
                      Amount of stolen/bootlegged/DLed software: astronomical

Comment

Originally posted by scott011422
                        No, Not really. The cab dosn't have a lot of extra room. Small glove box, small center console. No room behind seats, Hvac ducts under front seats. Compact dash. Like I said, Its the 3" under the rear seat, or somehere outside the cab..........
                        How many inches do you have behind your rear seat. Thats where I put mine in my chevy, although, it is a full size. Another suggestion is to pull a seat out, cut a hole in the floor and weld in a drop down box. Then re apholster everything back up and youd have a nice set up. Maybe put hinges on the rear of the seat and pins in the front. Then you would have easy access to it. I know the chevys have a lot of room under the floor boards and still above the frame. I put an entire optima battery under my floor, standing upright and it still has about 4 inches of clearance.
                        2.4 celeron
                        150 watt OPUS
                        micro atx
                        xp pro
                        tv/radio tuner card
                        audigy
                        Dual monitor Radeon
                        802.11G Mimo
                        xm pcr
                        dvd
                        gps
                        8" Lilliput touch screen
                        IGuidance
                        dual optimas
                        battery isolator
                        15" screen
                        My Truck

Comment

I was going to mount an amp like that, Never thought about the computer though. I only have 1" Behind my seats. No seat under armrest. Leather bucket seats.

Comment

How about in the bed? If you have a tonneau on there, rain would be less of an issue. Dare I say drill holes for venting out the side of the bed? Although, the bed probably has enough air capacity and flow to keep it cool enough.
                            Or, rig up a custom roof console (junkyard?) and put it there. Or the passenger air bag compartment. Hey - do you have big map pockets in your doors?

I had my old inverter sitting on top of a shock tower for a couple years. Worked like a dream. Just mount it high enough and rain and water won't be a problem (your GMC has taller shock towers than my Cherokee, so you're set).

Do you need the back seats on a daily basis? Make a custom cable dock so you can remove it quickly!
                            http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                            CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                            Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

few options as I see it

go behind interior pannels....for instance:

or, you can do something like my boyfriend has done to his back seat in the dakota....rebuild it so that there is a recessed cavity under the seat (on the bottom side), he has at one time had 3 amps under there (made it out of wood and just had it recovered to look factory. then again, i don't quite know what the interior looks like on one of those, so I don't know what your seat configuration is like

now, before you go out and say this or that is too expensive because you have leather, I would go check with a local upholstery shop....it can be a LOT cheaper than you think.....why? because GMC doesn't use anything that resembles leather, it's vinyl...and pretty crappy vinyl at that, so to get the factory matched stuff for it isn't all that hard or all that expenive!

just a few thoughts....I honnestly don't think that putting the computer in the engine bay is a good idea, too many variables there that can cause a LOT of problems....but hey, I also haven't spent any time around one of these trucks either!
                              Jan Bennett
                              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Working...
                              X