cd id information question..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cd id information question..

i am planning to burn my cds to my usb hard drive using my home pc while on line with media player then take to the car, if i then stick one of the cds in to my usb dash cd drive will it pick up the cd info that was stored with the mp3 or will i have to store it somewhere else and if so how? thanks!
    PB 2.0Ghz, 20GB, 512mb, XPpro. 300GB Usb HDD, Griffin pwrmate, m-audio audiophile fw. BU-353 gps. 2x100w sony amps, 1x150w JBL sub amp, MBQuart front components, 6x9 rear, 10" sub. Audiocontrol epcienter, esp2, 3xs. Clifford G5, Finished, fitted, problems

cd info?
    U mean artist/track/album etc?

Mp3s store all that as an ID3 Tag, and winamp/whatever will read that tag.

Windows media player (as far as i knw) defaults to WMA, so getting it to MP3 means you have to convert it from there.
    Better off looking for another cd ripper that goes straight to MP3, and uses the CDDB for all its info

edit: just reread ur post.
    if you burning to usb drive -why would you then use the cd again in the car?

For what you want - easist way (i can see) is to use FreeDB. (google it)
    92 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Epia MII12000 :D
    Morex 80W
    120G External HDD
    16x2 Charater Display
    Creative IR Remote
    VIA Sereniti 2000 Mini ITX Case
    7.2Ah SLA Tank
    PCMCIA 802.11b
    256DDR Ram

Diamonds are for girls- wise men follow the stars

Comment

Yup, i ment artist/track etc. Might be because of win media player and wma but i found the sound quality was better stright off the cd so i normally take the disks when on a long drive. I will have a look for an mp3 ripper tonight, then will it just be a case of setting my front end to look for id3 tags in my 'media' folder for cd's that are put in a drive?
      PB 2.0Ghz, 20GB, 512mb, XPpro. 300GB Usb HDD, Griffin pwrmate, m-audio audiophile fw. BU-353 gps. 2x100w sony amps, 1x150w JBL sub amp, MBQuart front components, 6x9 rear, 10" sub. Audiocontrol epcienter, esp2, 3xs. Clifford G5, Finished, fitted, problems

Comment

did you play around with the settings? win media player is usually around 64kbps standard.
        at 128 or 192 - its debatable whether you can tell the difference between a cd and mp3's. *ducks in case of flaming*

ID3 tags are associated with mp3s only.
        The mp3 (once ripped) is not really associated with any particular cd other than the album tag. While ripping - it will download the artist/info etc.

Cd information is an (almost) unique id number - which is looked up on a database usually on the net (either CDDB or FreeDB). Some rippers/players will save that CD info locally, so if you put that cd back in and run the same program, it can get the information again locally.

So IMO you should either
        1. (recommended) Rip all to a high rate mp3 (192kbps) then forget the cds.
        or
        2. Download FreeDB (200+mb i think) and use a freedb player, so you will have the CD info for any cd.
        or
        3. Use the same player/ripper on both home and carpc - one that saves cd information locally -then copy that data (once you find it) to the carpc. Then it *should* read that info when you put into carpc
        92 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Epia MII12000 :D
        Morex 80W
        120G External HDD
        16x2 Charater Display
        Creative IR Remote
        VIA Sereniti 2000 Mini ITX Case
        7.2Ah SLA Tank
        PCMCIA 802.11b
        256DDR Ram

Diamonds are for girls- wise men follow the stars

Comment