new amd mobile chip released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new amd mobile chip released

i caught this on slashdot today. its called the turion. it looks like they are going to be more expensive than a mobile athlon (by about twice as much, but this is to compete with the pentium m so in that market its probably a pretty good deal). power consumption appears to be 25-35 watts. it supports amd64 ( i don't know why, but for some reason i think i need those extra registers in my car :-P). i think i read it was socket 754, but i have no idea if it will go into a normal desktop board.

now i know it would be a little stupid to get something along the lines of this when a 35 watt 2400+ is $91 ... but something about this just makes me a little gooey inside
    don't worry i know i usually don't make much sense

Just make sure you keep that goo on the inside.

Ozy

Comment

Hi!

This is the only thread I found in this forum that talks about the AMD Turion 25w-35w...

And I did some research... What if?

25w - AMD Turion64 Mobile MT-30
      25w? - DFI UT NF3 250gb
      10w - 1 DDR 512m
      35w - ATI or Nvidia (not new models)
      25w - Hard disk 80g SATA
      5w - Misc fans
      25w? - DVD-RW slim slot
      7w? - Audigy 2 ZS
      5w? - USB GPS Holux 212
      5w? - USB Wifi

Total ~165 watts max (and less from different web site's watts calculator)
      Correct me if my numbers are incorrect...
      Probably going to use a app to automatically adjust underclock/undervolt or fix it at a setting...

Would it be possible as a carputer running a Opus 150w? or another DC-DC solution... Or another configuration (dual?). I don't want to use a inverter...

I already the hole forum trying to find the answer if somebody thinks it would work or tried it... (Other than simply no or you don't need that speed)

I know AMD mobile 2x00+ has been done before on a Opus 150w, cost less and is enough for most people. But I always try to get the latest technology and I'm probably going to need the speed for more than just mp3, dvd, gps... Let's just say it's going to be a extension of my office (computer tech)...

If it's really a no-go than I'll put the AMD mobile 2x00+ on the drawing board...

Thx

Edit: Forgot to mention the 7" VGA Touch screen... Directly from battery or from carputer power supply (watts?)

Comment

... Forget the screen... seems people are running directly from battery... The new motorized 7" from mp3car and wwdigital....

Would it be doable or I'm missing a important piece of information?

Comment

You shouldn't have a problem. Most of the numbers that a listed on products are peak watts. so you probably looking at a around 165w peak, that would be if you are funning everything at full wattage, which I highly doubt will ever happen.
          Installed
          Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
          512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
          Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
          [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

I heard about these new Turion 64s when doing research for a laptop recently.

If I am not mistaken, even a 25-35 Watt CPU wouldnt be that revolutionary....Intel claims the M runs between 12 and 27 Watts.....that would make a great core for a low heat/low power setup...plus on a laptop I can only imagine the battery time!
            Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

Originally posted by jusatry
              I heard about these new Turion 64s when doing research for a laptop recently.

If I am not mistaken, even a 25-35 Watt CPU wouldnt be that revolutionary....Intel claims the M runs between 12 and 27 Watts.....that would make a great core for a low heat/low power setup...plus on a laptop I can only imagine the battery time!
              Can't quite compare the two since they are measured differently. And even though no one uses it, Turion is still 64-bit capable while the M is not. AMD is also targeting thin-and-light market with this chip, so the power consumption is likely to be close to that of Pentium M (regular flavor, not the ULV)
              I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Comment

jsut for info...the Pentium M 1.4 actually draws 10W which is less than the 1.1 at 12W. The 1.8 draws 21W. Damn impressive if you ask me.

I woul dbe tempted to do with the athlon though if it was cheap and there was a decent mATTX mobo with dual VGA based on the nForce chipset.

FreaQ, any setup using a 23-35W will run easy on an Opus 150. People have run P4 2.4Ghz on them!

Comment

Well thanks for the infos... I'm not going with intel....

Seems I may buy a AMD Turion64 MT-34 25w from somebody out of this forum that is trying to do the same thing as me (carputer) but with a more powerful version (MT-37 or MT-40)...

Comment

Working...
                  X