Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice - three screens

Hey guys,

Install being re-done this weekend ready for the UK Meet.

The main system is an EPIA 800 with a LinITX Touchscreen.

I've two Toshiba Librettos with 5" screens spare that I am thinking of using in the rear of the car, these screens aren't touchscreen. The specs are nothing wonderful, only P75 with 16MB RAM, what would you guys do?? Would you bother using them for the back or just ditch them completely?? I was thinking of using them as a 'dumb' terminal for the main CarPC, they have their own soundcard, Serial, PCMCIA slot but no USB.

They would only really be used for music and if I can get it to work stream video from the main carPC, I don't expect the Librettos to do any processing really, only act as a dumb terminal.

Any comments/ideas etc??

You might just about get them to work for playing music, but I can't really see any advantages to using them.

By all means come up with something and prove me wrong! But I can't see any use for them
    Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
    www.aimee.cc

Comment

Simple

Use them as a games machine in the back and MP3 Player

they wont run video even if u were streaming it fromt he main pc.

Zsnes should work fine and Vantage (arcade emulator) will work great on that kind of system.

It all depends are the LCD's in them active? or passive?

Use them as a dedicated games machine and music player this gives the back seat users a good way to do what they want.

Maybe you could hook them to a network in the car so they can access the music from the main pc
      CarPC Status:
      GPS: 99%
      Hardware: 99%
      Software: 92%
      Case Install: 99.9%
      Dash Install: 100%
      Car Install: 72%

Comment

The idea was to use as dumb terminal and grab music from the mainPC. Just seems a shame to waste two 'naff' machines that aren't really much use for anything else.

Comment

I still think making the machines be game consoles would be best you can easily hook up snes or any other kind of controller to play games on them.

I don't think 75mhz will be fast enough to even be a dumb terminal for video.

Also you could make a digital picture frame out of 1
          CarPC Status:
          GPS: 99%
          Hardware: 99%
          Software: 92%
          Case Install: 99.9%
          Dash Install: 100%
          Car Install: 72%

Comment

lol @ digital picture frame!

Comment

Originally posted by UK_MP3Car
              lol @ digital picture frame!
              How about showing the images of your install!? You did take lots of pictures, right?

Oh, can you jump on MSN mate!

Garry
              Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
              www.aimee.cc

Comment

they are pretty damn ****e to be honest. shame the screens can't be used by themselves. Only use i could think is to run apps off the PC using PCanywhere as they won't be able to run divX and will not really be much good with mp3s! i would put linux or summit ona nd use them as a standalone OBDII PC in a moulded module on the right side. Then have a little trackpad in the arm rest or a few buttons somehwere to activate different screens. You would be better off geting a couple of cheap RCA screens for the headrests i reckon.

Comment

Yeah I know they're crap ... just didn't want to waste them really - will pop on MSN in a bit fella.

Comment

flog em on ebay and buy some cheap RCA screens for the headrests and run em off the epias RCA output.

Comment

The idea was to use as dumb terminal and grab music from the mainPC. Just seems a shame to waste two 'naff' machines that aren't really much use for anything else.
                      Erm... Only practical use I can think of without any extra programming would be get those .SCR visualisations off Centrafuse, one of them you can configure (say to 320x240) and take line-in audio... Then just run visualisations on them.

WITH extra programming you could build perhaps an IP interface where they poll the main car PC for info to display but to be honest this would only be easily achievable with Map Monkey & Phoncontrol and it wouldn't include any graphics from the Car PC such as map unless you set about writing your own front end and D3 front end and there isn't the time TBH!!

I would go for the first suggestion of mine personally as it sounds easily achievable if they have line-in - just be careful splitting the audio another 2 ways doesn't ruin your audio!
                      Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                      Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

May just sack it off for now, concentrate on getting the main CarPC fully sorted, just had a Carnetix and respraying the centre console silver to match the original again.

Will investigate the Libretto stuff at a later date.

Comment

May just sack it off for now, concentrate on getting the main CarPC fully sorted, just had a Carnetix and respraying the centre console silver to match the original again.

Will investigate the Libretto stuff at a later date.
                          This weekend the whole country will hear the buzzing away of Car PC fanatics improving their installs to show off in april...

Well a few of us maybe anyway... I've got a busy weekend too!

Comment

I'm redoing my software setup tonight - got the XP install down to 210Meg - Compact Flash boot coming up with ewf, I got my system to boot quicker with 256Meg rather than 512Meg which I was amazed at - both PC133.

Comment

I'm redoing my software setup tonight - got the XP install down to 210Meg - Compact Flash boot coming up with ewf, I got my system to boot quicker with 256Meg rather than 512Meg which I was amazed at - both PC133.
                              yeah I am surpised how quickly the 800's boot.. I had mine (dropped to 256) booting in less than 13 seconds using bootivs optimisation and minlogon on a 5400RPM HDD, on a new 120GB HDD and MII12000 it's not much faster!

Comment

Working...
                              X