Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auto Shut off for Inverters!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Auto Shut off for Inverters!

    Hey guys, I have looked everywhere in these forums for the answer but there isnt a clear cut one...

    I have gathered that I need a relay if I want my inverter powering my stereo and Usb hub to switch off when my car goes off.. I would hook it directly to my ACC but my inverter has 3x 30 amp fuses, and im fairly sure it would just blow a fuse somewhere if i tried...(400 watt inverter). I have no clue where or what kind of relay to get, and if I had it, i wouldnt know what to do with it. Thanks for your help guys!

  • #2
    why not use one of these: http://carpc.kyferez.com/
    EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

    Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
    Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
    OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
    Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
    BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
    VoomPC 2

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, I was hopeing not to spend $60 for something that does way more than I need. I already have a 90 W opus for my pc to startup and shut down. all I need it for is my stereo and usb hub., I would like to do it whatever way is best and easiest.. also, DANG, ive never seen a reply to a post less than a min after it was posted! lol..

      ALSO. Will an opus 90W and a 400W inverter kill my batery? I have a honda crx, and stock alt.. Thanks!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ninjutsuassasin
        Hey guys, I have looked everywhere in these forums for the answer but there isnt a clear cut one...

        I have gathered that I need a relay if I want my inverter powering my stereo and Usb hub to switch off when my car goes off.. I would hook it directly to my ACC but my inverter has 3x 30 amp fuses, and im fairly sure it would just blow a fuse somewhere if i tried...(400 watt inverter). I have no clue where or what kind of relay to get, and if I had it, i wouldnt know what to do with it. Thanks for your help guys!
        I answered a thread just like this the other day. Use a relay to switch the inverter power (direct to battery accept for a fuse on the +ve near the battery and the relay).

        Then connect the coil for the realy up to the ACC line and whenever the ACC line is ont he inverter will be on.

        HOWEVER, as the opus will allow the PC to shutdown after the ACC line is off. what you really want is the inverter powered by the ACC line AND the Opus.

        SO:

        Connect the coil for the realy up to the ACC line and whenever the ACC line is ont he inverter will be on AND to the 12V output of your Opus PSU. BUT you need to isolate these supplies from each other using diodes or simply use 2 relays in parallel.

        This way, whenever the ACC line comes on the invterter and the Opus will power up immediately and when the ACC line goes off the Opus will trigger shutdown and when it finally does the inverter will shutdown too.

        YOu could possibly just power the relay off the opus so when the opus is on the inverter is on but you may get an issue with theinverter taking a while to stabilise. I would try it initially with the relay just triggered by the Opus and see if you get any problems. But make sure the inverter takes its power direct from the battery with a fuse and the relay inline.

        Quite simple really.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm confused, you have an inverter powering your stereo? What kind of stereo are you using that needs AC? And it also powers a USB hub? I didn't know they made such a thing.

          If what you are asking is what size of a relay to use for your inverter, I would go to any auto parts store and get a relay for driving/fog lights. Should be more then enough. I have a 150w/300peak inverter and I'm using a 12v relay I got from radio shack for something like $6.

          If I'm not mistaken, those 3 30amp fuses on the inverter are not for the inverter it's self but for what you have plugged into the inverter.

          Comment


          • #6
            Wow, thanks for the quick response guys, well, my stereo Is a logitech z560, and I am putting it in my car. lol. its for my computer tho... but i seem to have used all my money on a carpc, so i cant afford a real car system.. lol but to make things more confusing I have a Turbo Timer installed too ( so my car keeps itself on long enough for my turbo to spool down), it usualy keeps my car on around 1:00 min after I take the key out of the ignition.. So I guess everything will be powered up for little while longer because of the stupid turbo timer.. but dang... thanks for all the help, you guys rock!!.. and wouldnt I need a 400W+ relay because of the inverter (400W)? thanks!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ninjutsuassasin
              Wow, thanks for the quick response guys, well, my stereo Is a logitech z560, and I am putting it in my car. lol. its for my computer tho... but i seem to have used all my money on a carpc, so i cant afford a real car system.. lol but to make things more confusing I have a Turbo Timer installed too ( so my car keeps itself on long enough for my turbo to spool down), it usualy keeps my car on around 1:00 min after I take the key out of the ignition.. So I guess everything will be powered up for little while longer because of the stupid turbo timer.. but dang... thanks for all the help, you guys rock!!.. and wouldnt I need a 400W+ relay because of the inverter (400W)? thanks!!!

              You're putting house computer speakers in your car? Good luck with that.

              Your 400W inverter is WATTS output, not AMPS input. Look on your inverter it should tell you what you need to power the inverter. Probably something like "input" or "draw".

              Comment


              • #8
                You're using computer speakers in your car?

                Sounds like you've got your priorities messed up.

                i wonder if there is a more efficient to do the power than an inverter (then you could sell the inverter too, since you are obviously hard up for cash). What voltage do your "speakers" take? There are plenty of PCB designs for a 12V to 5V regulator (for your USB hub)....


                Search.
                Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

                Comment


                • #9
                  I dont have them with me so i cant look, Im on my laptop right now. but the more I think about it, its a terrible idea to put that system in my car.. lol.. there is so much wasted power from going to DC-> AC-> DC again.. I almost wish I could rip out the internal thing thats inside my sub/amp box to a DC powersupply But if it drains my batt all the time ill just have to break down and buy an Infinity perfect system for my car... you know, after I save the $1000 it will cost. lol

                  concerning the usb hub, I would get the PCB, but im afraid I will break the hub.. Im crapy at soldering, and I dont have enough faith in my electronics skills to be doing that..

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ninjutsuassasin
                    concerning the usb hub, I would get the PCB, but im afraid I will break the hub.. Im crapy at soldering, and I dont have enough faith in my electronics skills to be doing that..

                    Im pretty sure rat-shack has adapters that can do 5V from cigarette lighter.
                    Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      There's a guy on here with a SICK S10. He installed the Z560 set (or some 5.1 Logitech speaker set) into his car. It's insane. It also looks butt ugly.

                      -HD

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        lol.. well, my car is rear ended and has no front bumper or gas gauge.. so Im not really goin for looks.. lol.. but yea. a computer in my car is more important to me than paying rent.. but If it doesnt work.. Ill just add an alternator or something. idk.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X