PC Card to USB is there such thing??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Card to USB is there such thing??

Basically i want to add a pc card(pcmcia) to my carputer..i dont have a port for pcmcia and i have only 1 pci slot..i seen pci slot adapters where you can slide in a pc card but it looks to be too tall to fit into my case. i can fit low profile pci slot. therefore i searched and searched for a pc card reader thats USB. basically i want to be able to use the Tmobile wireless LAN card doing it through usb hopefully..has anyone ever seen such a device? pc card=>adapter=> usb??? thats basically what im looking for..any ideas?
    i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

It was explained to me this way:

PCI bus = 133mbit
    USB1.1 bus = 12mbit
    USB2.0 bus ~ 480mbit

It's possible, but no one makes them
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

darn! well i want to use the internet for the carputer..i dont want to get a huge antenna or wardrive or look for a signal..omg it seems like too much hassle..id rather pay the 29.99 a month and get FULL internet on all the time from tmobile. the pc card is like 99 dollars..i asked if they make anything for desktops but no luuck..maybe if i bought a riser and positioned the pci adapter sideways and slide the pc card into it?? u think thatll work out?

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
        It was explained to me this way:

PCI bus = 133mbit
        USB1.1 bus = 12mbit
        USB2.0 bus ~ 480mbit

It's possible, but no one makes them
        that PCI bus should be 133MB/s not 133mb/s
        [H]4 Life
        My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
        It will be done sometime in the next generation.
        I'm a lesbian too.
        I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by EsKALad
          darn! well i want to use the internet for the carputer..i dont want to get a huge antenna or wardrive or look for a signal..omg it seems like too much hassle..id rather pay the 29.99 a month and get FULL internet on all the time from tmobile. the pc card is like 99 dollars..i asked if they make anything for desktops but no luuck..maybe if i bought a riser and positioned the pci adapter sideways and slide the pc card into it?? u think thatll work out?
          yea that would work... just get a ribbon riser. Ive been wanting to do the same but i will have to make a new case before it would fit...
          1990 Jeep Cherokee
          2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
          2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

ribbon riser?? sorry first i ever heard of it..you have a link to what it is?? if not i will SEARCH. lol but if you have the info already it would be great!

Comment

The below link. ive used that company a lot before. with the ribbon you can make it so you can place the pci card exactly where you need it.

http://www.servercase.com/miva/miva?...=1U%2F2U+Riser
              1990 Jeep Cherokee
              2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
              2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

the ribbon riser is like a pci riser card but it has a flexable ribon cable in the middle. it can make it easier to position in your case. I have actually seen a usb to pc card adapter inside an outdoor wifi antenna. it looked like it would do what you want. unfortunately i cant remember who made the thing.
                System: AMD Duron 1200+ , 512 MB ram , usb sb mp3+ , Tview 7" touchscreen , M1-ATX PSU , Slot Load iMac DVD-Rom , 40 GB laptop HDD, netgear USB 802.11g

Progress: Installation: 90% Dash fabrication: 80%

Parts Needed: USB GPS

Comment

Originally posted by meyer64
                  the ribbon riser is like a pci riser card but it has a flexable ribon cable in the middle. it can make it easier to position in your case. I have actually seen a usb to pc card adapter inside an outdoor wifi antenna. it looked like it would do what you want. unfortunately i cant remember who made the thing.
                  i think its orinco. but i dont know the model they have it in.
                  1990 Jeep Cherokee
                  2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                  2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins
                    that PCI bus should be 133MB/s not 133mb/s

Ahh, you took the thoughts right out of my head

If anyone wants to work the math youll find that USB2s peak 480Mbit/s is only 60MB/s - well within the 133MB/s spec of the pci bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Ad
                      Ahh, you took the thoughts right out of my head

If anyone wants to work the math youll find that USB2s peak 480Mbit/s is only 60MB/s - well within the 133MB/s spec of the pci bus.

AHA!!! That's why it won't work. Because USB2.0 doesnt have enough throughput for a PCI Card. I KNEW it was something like that.
                      Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                      Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                      I'M DEBT FREE!!
                      I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

is it just me or are some other people reading this the other way round?
                        "pc card=>adapter=> usb" to me reads as something that allows u to run usb off a pcmcia card.

never the less..... what about me?
                        92 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Epia MII12000 :D
                        Morex 80W
                        120G External HDD
                        16x2 Charater Display
                        Creative IR Remote
                        VIA Sereniti 2000 Mini ITX Case
                        7.2Ah SLA Tank
                        PCMCIA 802.11b
                        256DDR Ram

Diamonds are for girls- wise men follow the stars

Comment

I would not take that as fact WizardPC. A pci card works at the speed it needs to, same as USB, these figures we quote are bus maximums- eg a 10/100 pci network card is far below 60Mb/s, infact what pci card would push over 60Mb? scsi/ide raid- what else? I cant think of anything.

Comment

As an alternative, you could ditch the PCMCIA card altogether.

Many of the newest phones support dialing up for internet. While I plug in my phone in my car and carry it with me at other times, if you want a permanent solution I don't see what's stopping you from sticking a Motorola V300 with a USB data cable in with the system, and using that for data. ^_^

Comment

i already have a tmobile sidekick2 with unlimited internet plan..but it doesnt work with a computer...any other suggestions? i want an always "on" connection where i pay one flat rate..what do you guys think?

Comment

Working...
                              X