Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XP not posting well with BioStar M7NCG400!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP not posting well with BioStar M7NCG400!

Finally got my BioStar M7NCG 400 up and running with the XP-M 2500+ (45w). My brother and I have been beatin our heads in on why we cannot get XP to stop hanging on the main screen. Never really makes it to the actual "2nd" installing screen where it says "39 minutes remaining" etc. It made it to that screen once, but just hung there after a couple seconds.

- Tried about 5 different memory modules, thinking it maybe branded memory issues.
    - Tried 2 different HD's (60g and a 160g) with fresh installs of XP Pro
    - Tried 2 different XP Pro discs to see if that was messing it up.
    - Unplugged everything from the board except bare essentials, even disabled USB in the bios.
    - Changed from the onboard video to a AGP card that was hanging around. Even switched between the Xenarc 800TSV to a 21" crt.
    - Fiddled with CMOS setting, and even did a CMOS jumper clear.

I must have done about a dozen "quick" NTFS formats and repartioning, and a dozen slower NTFS formats. I thought it was hanging on the Mups.sys, but scouring google claimed broad answer, and thats the last ".sys" that posted anyway, so it doesn't mean it hangs on that one.

Im ready to pull my hair out. Any help please?

Sounds like you've ruled out everything but the mb and proc. I'd say your next step is to get a replacement motherboard.
    Visit my website at:
    http://www.hostilejava.com
    http://hostilejava.com/gerbil5.jpg

Comment

you don't mention anything about the IDE cables. if you didn't replace them try that first before trying anything else, try another cd-drive as well.
      if the problem is still there then check mb and proc like HostileJava said.

Comment

u have the latest bios?
        Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

I was working on the the similar prior version v7.0 motherboard yesterday and had the same problem.. check the speed of ur cpu in the bios, set it where it needs to be. Again, I was working on the older version tho... It fixed the issue.

I have the one u should have btw which is M7ncg 400 v7.2, the first thing I did was update the bios to the latest, which didnt come shipped and I bought it from newegg about a month ago. Good luck!

Comment

I haven't gotten to the capability yet of updating the bios....still trying to get past the initial XP setup.

Comment

make sure the multipliers for you processor are setup correctly. XP will not install unless these are correct.

Check out this thread:
              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ght=xp+install

Biostar M7NCG 400 ver 7.2 AMD Mobile Athlon 1.1GHz (@ 1GHz), Kingston PC2700 512mb WD 80gig HD Custom Case Opus 150W PS Lilliput 7" TS D-Link DBT-120 BT D-Link DWL-G122 WiFi Holux GR-231 GPS nLited XP Pro iGuidance RoadRunner frontend

Comment

If you are using PC3200/DDR400 with onboard Video graphic, you are in trouble. That is a known problem with most/all Nforce2 mobo.
                2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC
                  If you are using PC3200/DDR400 with onboard Video graphic, you are in trouble. That is a known problem with most/all Nforce2 mobo.
                  Believe me, after days of debugging software, hardware, etc. I found this out the hard way: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55231

The problem I'm having is that the video stopped all of a sudden after working for nearly a week. I just reinstalled the drivers and it works again. Problem I'm having now is that the Opus -5V output is showing up as -61.3V in the BIOS and +3.6V in the hardware monitor in win XP. I'm not sure if that is maybe related to the video problem or not. I plugged in a desktop power supply and the -5V is -5.04V. Any suggestions?

Biostar M7NCG 400 ver 7.2 AMD Mobile Athlon 1.1GHz (@ 1GHz), Kingston PC2700 512mb WD 80gig HD Custom Case Opus 150W PS Lilliput 7" TS D-Link DBT-120 BT D-Link DWL-G122 WiFi Holux GR-231 GPS nLited XP Pro iGuidance RoadRunner frontend

Comment

Was the Opus specificaly made/tailored for the M7NCG MB? I had three install with this mb/cpu/opus and no problems at all. All three installs had the custom opus direct the OPus for compatiblily with the Biostar mb.

Comment

RaVe:

What is the multiplier and clock set to in the BIOS? A safe start is 133Mhz @ 10X multiplier.

I know you are thinking this has nothing to do with your problem, but give it a try because I know other people with this mobo (which I now own) had similar issues that were attributed to wrong clock and multipliers in BIOS.
                      2002 Honda CR-V
                      Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
                      Spent so far: $1105.90

Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
                      ...or even Listen to my music

Comment

Originally posted by ERIKbx
                        Was the Opus specificaly made/tailored for the M7NCG MB? I had three install with this mb/cpu/opus and no problems at all. All three installs had the custom opus direct the OPus for compatiblily with the Biostar mb.
                        After talking with opus tech support, they said the biostar fix is shorting out a jumper right behind the on/off header. Can anyone check their resistor value on the opus and let me know?

Comment

Btw erikbx, did you gain any new multiplier settings or other features when you flashed the bios? my multi goes from 6 to 12.5 and the xp-m 2600+ that i have is suposed to be set at 15 x 133mhz.

On the modding of the opus 150 i was told by opus tech support that changing a resistor from 100ohm to 10ohm(or the other way round,cant remember) would solve the problem, so i put in a switch between a 10ohm and a 100ohm resistor so that it will/should work with any mb. Haven't tested that yet cos' im waiting on other parts b4 all goes into my car.

Comment

I had this EXACT problem. Did it with Windows 2000 as well. I ended up pressing F7 when you first start windows installation, where it asks you to push F6 if you would like to install ASPI drivers or something. F7 disables ACPI, and it allowed me to actually install. I formatted SO many times, I was getting VERY angry.

After windows installed, I turned all of the power management options on in Windows and turned on all options in the BIOS. If you don't, your machine will not power down by itself, because you have essentially disabled that by pressing F7.

(Note, pressing F7 will give no confirmation, so just push it a couple of times when it asks you to push F6.)

Good luck, let me know if it works!

** EDIT **

Just noticed the dates in this thread. Hopefully this information might help someone else, as I don't think the original poster is still persuing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Dev
                              On the modding of the opus 150 i was told by opus tech support that changing a resistor from 100ohm to 10ohm(or the other way round,cant remember) would solve the problem, so i put in a switch between a 10ohm and a 100ohm resistor so that it will/should work with any mb. Haven't tested that yet cos' im waiting on other parts b4 all goes into my car.
                              Tech support told me if I didn't have the resistor value I could just short it out altogether. I took a piece of wire and soldered it to the ends of the resistors has been working OK.

Comment

Working...
                              X