No announcement yet.

usb wifi with detachable ant?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• usb wifi with detachable ant?

since my system is installed in my glovebox there really isnt room for a pci card. I currently have a dlink 802.11b usb adapter. I would like to get somehing that has a bit better range and upgrade to g. Does anyone know of a usb wifi adapter that gets extreemely good range or has the ability to attach an external antenna?
    System: AMD Duron 1200+ , 512 MB ram , usb sb mp3+ , Tview 7" touchscreen , M1-ATX PSU , Slot Load iMac DVD-Rom , 40 GB laptop HDD, netgear USB 802.11g

Progress: Installation: 90% Dash fabrication: 80%

Parts Needed: USB GPS

Search for Linksys mods. There is one around on how to add a connector to a USB adapter. Its pretty simple from what I remember.
    2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
    7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
    80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

I originally had a PCI with an external antenna and it worked well
      Ive since migrated to a case which doesnt allow PCI cards so I moving to USB

Im going to just put a USB wifi "stick" type device under the plastic of the front dash
      Ive read reviews on the IOGear GWU513 unit and it apparently has a good internal antenna and you cant beat the size
      2004 G35 Coupe project

do the usb adapters come close to the ranges of pci cards with external antennas?
        Current Progress:
        Final Assembly

Ramline P3 PC
        10.4 inch Touchscreen
        Windows XP Embedded
        Road Runner
        Electrical Engineer / Mobile DJ

The better wifi devices, wether pci usb or rj-45, are adapters with pcmcia cards in them. Most of the integrated wlan chip devices are not as good. I have read that with the linksys wet11 ver1 bridge you can change out the card with higher power cards to increase the range. Definitly get some thing with an external antenna like the orinoco pci adapter.
          '99 F-350 Crew 7.3L~'02 F-350 Crew 7.3L~ '04 Dakota SLT+ 4.7L
          NA~Senao dual 7.4 ant~Orinoco Gold
          Pioneer~Pioneer~PG Octane-R R5.1MT
          Xenarc, Rikaline6010, Garmin OEM16 HVS, CoPilot10

i got a buffalo USB wifi and it lets me use a antenna with a MC connector on it, i have the antenna on the roof and the dongle buried in my dash. works great!

If you want ill get the model.
            1990 Jeep Cherokee
            2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
            2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

next - wifi

ah orry what was the model?