Any Probs with Mobo being screwed to wood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Probs with Mobo being screwed to wood

I'm in the process of doin a custom amp rack/carputer/sub install. I was thinkin about chopping my current case but then i got curious... is there anything wrong with just letting the mobo sit on the wood? I put a few small rubber washers as sorta a buffer and the wood will eventually be carpeted.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

its fine, i did it and so have a ton of other people
    PC Components:
    Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
    My work log

Comment

just remenber to ground one of the risers(screw) to a metal part of the car
      RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
      We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

Originally posted by thanatos106
        Why? I've done it with plexi and (cough) cardboard for years and it hasn't caused any problems. (or is that why I occasionally have problems with ground loops?)

If you're concerned about heat or shorts, a relatively simple solution is to drill holes through the backing material (your wood) and use 1/8" screws, nuts, and rubber washers.

To install - set the mobo on the material and mark the holes with a thin marker. Drill the holes, insert the screws (from the bottom) and top off with 3-4 nuts (standoffs) and a rubber washer. Set the mobo on there and finish off with another rubber washer and nut.

Pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it.

Edit: On re-reading your post, I just realized that I sound like an absolute moron. Sorry for stating the obvious....
        http://www.jeepmp3.com/
        CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
        Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Originally posted by PatO
          Why? I've done it with plexi and (cough) cardboard for years and it hasn't caused any problems. (or is that why I occasionally have problems with ground loops?)

If you're concerned about heat or shorts, a relatively simple solution is to drill holes through the backing material (your wood) and use 1/8" screws, nuts, and rubber washers.

To install - set the mobo on the material and mark the holes with a thin marker. Drill the holes, insert the screws (from the bottom) and top off with 3-4 nuts (standoffs) and a rubber washer. Set the mobo on there and finish off with another rubber washer and nut.

Pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it.

RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
          We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

Mine's carpet over wood, no mobo grounding and it works fine. I suppose I ought to just out of principle....

Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

here's the best way to mount to wood...
              http://www.ultimarc.com/JShopServer/...xProd=9&xSec=2
              I used these on my arcade box... and in my car...

it is a small plastic foot that has a hole for wood screw and a nut in it for standard motherboard bolt... comes with the bolt and screw that you need...
              EPIA SP13000, 512 DDR400, Seagate 300GB, Belkin PCI 802.11g w/external antenna, Holux GM-210 GPS, XM Direct w/ serial, Dlink FM, Opus 120 p\s, Rockford P4004 amp, Xenarc 7" VGA touchscreen custom mounted in double din spot -- see pics and write up here!!

Comment

Originally posted by thanatos106
                I asked about this a while back and was told that it's not really needed....since the board is grounded through the power supply...

as to the original post....I did it in my car...

you can see it all in my sig - go to the computer link

one thing to consider is that if you stand it off too much you might risk causing the board to flex in the car

being that in a regular case in your house it's not moving aorund like it will be in a car....
                Jan Bennett
                FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Working...
                X