X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powering usb

i need to power up to 2 usb hubs...
    i need switched, since i'm using the dssc
    i have used the 2 spaces for the device (1 for 2 amps remote lines and SWIX on; 2nd for screen)

i was thinking using molex connector? i need specifics on exactly what to do...

which line on a molex? do i tap into the power supply's line or get an extension and tap into that? do i run one wire to the front where the usb hubs are, and split the line there?
    [4Runna]

next - wifi

Originally posted by nsmoller
    which line on a molex? do i tap into the power supply's line or get an extension and tap into that? do i run one wire to the front where the usb hubs are, and split the line there?
    Red wire = +5, Yellow = +12, Blacks = ground. Use whichever wire your hub needs.

Use an extension if you want - it doesn't matter.

As long as you don't pull more power than the wires are rated for (or the ps, for that matter) run a single positive and ground to the front and split it there. In your application, you should be fine splitting at the front. Amp remotes use very little energy and most screens are rather efficient. I bumped up to 10 guage wire because I am running a DVD drive in addition to a 7" Xenarc. (And 20ft of quality 10-guage was on sale at Fleet Farm for $1.50....)
    http://www.jeepmp3.com/
    CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
    Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

was it an external dvd drive? cause i have to use one of those too...

so you ran a 10g from the molex to the front and split it off w/smaller wires? did you solder/tap-in/distro block it?
      [4Runna]

next - wifi

Comment

Originally posted by nsmoller
        was it an external dvd drive? cause i have to use one of those too...

so you ran a 10g from the molex to the front and split it off w/smaller wires? did you solder/tap-in/distro block it?
        Yes - one of those DVD/CD Burner slimline things.

The usb hubs recieve their power through the usb cable - so the little light on the hub lights up whenever the comp is on.

Additionally, I ran a red, yellow, and black wire using 10guage to the front using a molex extender. The display and the cdrom used different voltages, so no splicing necessary. Though 10guage should handle numerous devices with no problem (I'd imagine). If you're concerned, find out how many amps your wire can take over the distance you're running and toss a fuse on it at the computer. There's a link on here somewhere to calculate that.
        http://www.jeepmp3.com/
        CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
        Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Working...
        X