blown videocard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blown videocard

Has anyone blown multiple videocards? The first videocard I blew was some old bulls*it card that was given to me, so when it blew, I didn't think anything of it. So I bought a GeForce 5500, and yesterday when I was driving, It appeared my system shutdown. When I parked, I looked in the back, and the pc was still running, but I noticed that my video card popped out of the PCI slot. I then powered down, plugged in the card, rebooted, and now I have no video at all. The interesting thing though, is that the fan attached to the card powers up.....Any ideas?
    Via epia M10000
    12.1" VGA touchscreen
    XP Pro
    OPus 150W
    120 GIG Maxtor
    512 DDR
    Geforce 5500 Videocard
    Audigy NX USB sound card
    Wireless Keyboard & mouse
    Panasonic slim line -slot load
    w/ usb adapter
    IRMAN

Check that the pci slot is clean, you may have some dust in there that is shorting a contact.
    2Fast's Tumbleweed - Spag bol's Tumbleweed - 2Fast's site

Comment

It could've fried by getting the wrong voltages to the wrong pins (dead shorts, etc.) when it poped out of the slot while on. Make sure your new card is secured in the slot.

Comment

I noticed that both cards fit in the slot kind of snugly, although they can sway from side to side if pressure is applyed. While driving, I'm sure that turning, etc., causes this card to sway. How are you guys making sure that the card doesn't move while driving?
        Via epia M10000
        12.1" VGA touchscreen
        XP Pro
        OPus 150W
        120 GIG Maxtor
        512 DDR
        Geforce 5500 Videocard
        Audigy NX USB sound card
        Panasonic slim line -slot load
        w/ usb adapter
        IRMAN

Comment

if the card is fitted correctly there's no way it could sway while turning.
          mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
          Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
          Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Check for loose wires in you case that could hit the card.

Also check your earthing on your case and your monitor etc. It is morel likey that the video card is just very sensitive to something like a spike than other components than blowing cos it's moving.

Also check the VGA cable isnt breaking the connector on the board if it or the PC move.

Comment

i'd check the card in another PC make sure its blown.....maybe you fried the port....i've done that
              PC Components:
              Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
              My work log

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples
                i'd check the card in another PC make sure its blown.....maybe you fried the port....i've done that
                that is a good point, but dont try it in your uber expensive gaming rig. Test it on an old mobo if you can incase it is blown and damages the mobo.

Comment

Thanx For The Replies!!
                  I Will Test It Later Today!
                  Via epia M10000
                  12.1" VGA touchscreen
                  XP Pro
                  OPus 150W
                  120 GIG Maxtor
                  512 DDR
                  Geforce 5500 Videocard
                  Audigy NX USB sound card