newbie's question about car alarm transmitting freqencies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie's question about car alarm transmitting freqencies

ok, i dont have a car alarm installed, infact i never really understand how they manage not to screwup. i mean i observed that most alarms transmit signals at apprx 330Mhz.

Now, how come one alarm does not open the doors of another car. say, if 1,00,000 people bought the same alarm module from the same manufacturer, is the probabilty of mismatch > 0? just wondering.

also, if i buy a transmitter unit like http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=330-145 can i program the alarm myself, like set the transmitting "key" code manually. \

thanks
    400W Power Amplifier -$25
    P3 laptop mobo-$30ish
    128MB RAM-$10
    6GB+80GB 2.5" HDDs-$130
    GPS-$60
    7" TS Lilliput-$280
    10" pioneer 500w sub-$55
    sony xm-3020 30W amp-$10
    jensen 340W A34XP amp-$40
    mp3car.com resources and members- priceless

Originally posted by joshthepilot
    For your reading pleasure...

http://money.howstuffworks.com/car-alarm8.htm

And no, you can't set it manually. It changes constantly and with a basic encryption. Don't you think that is a bit more effective?

sweet.....thank you
    400W Power Amplifier -$25
    P3 laptop mobo-$30ish
    128MB RAM-$10
    6GB+80GB 2.5" HDDs-$130
    GPS-$60
    7" TS Lilliput-$280
    10" pioneer 500w sub-$55
    sony xm-3020 30W amp-$10
    jensen 340W A34XP amp-$40
    mp3car.com resources and members- priceless

Comment

because the transmitters are very differant, like 1 in 1.3 billion are the same, i forgot the number. the alarm receiver is set up to use that unique transmitter. so dublicating that transmitter will be almost impossible.

if you wanted to get into someone elses car (not saying you would, im just saying)...u would have access to their alarm and add your transmitter - its the only way
      Current Progress:
      [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓---]80%
      Final Assembly

Ramline P3 PC
      10.4 inch Touchscreen
      Windows XP Embedded
      Road Runner
      http://www.projektnepa.com
      Electrical Engineer / Mobile DJ

Comment

Looking at the system you posted, it doesn't say anywhere about rolling codes. You might be able to change the key. However, alot of them have the key permanently set.

Some of them, (a system very similar to the one shown above, that I have worked with included) have jumpers to allow you to change the key. But, that one has the remote learning feature, so it can't have the jumpers in the base. It might have the jumpers in the remotes, but I doubt it. And speaking of the learning function, this also means that the remotes can't have rolling codes.

If you are looking for something that allows you to change the key, you can still find the jumper based ones.
        2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
        7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
        80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

Working...
        X