Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts on this USB 2.0 IDE Adapter

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ayphotohosting

Designed to allow a standard IDE CD/DVD to be connected using USB connection, obviously the powering for it comes from a standard pin connection through a wall socket adapter but you could just scrap that in favour of the power from your opus or whatever you are using

What do you think?
    www.streetrace.co.uk - The UK's best modified car club (With lots of 16/17/18 year olds for scouse to abuse)

arent you buying a slim dvd drive?
    Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

It looks like its all the circuitry from an external USB HDD enclosure built into the cord. Go for it.
      2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.9L TDI 5 speed
      <|||-------> 35% ish

CarNetix P1280 80w
      EPIA TC10000 Mobo, 512MB SODIMM DDR, 160GB HD, Orinoco 802.11b, Hollux GPS (USB), 12dBi Omni Antenna

Waiting on:
      DWW-700M 7" 1-DIN Display :-D (2 weeks maybe!)

Comment

Originally posted by Nic
        arent you buying a slim dvd drive?
        Tis what im going for, but cant help to add to the fountain of knowledge for other people who want to use existing drives

for that price it would be a good starter for someone who wants to do their project on the cheap to start with
        www.streetrace.co.uk - The UK's best modified car club (With lots of 16/17/18 year olds for scouse to abuse)

Comment

well if you are using it for a slim dvd you are going to have to get a slim to ide converter as well, may as well just get a slim cd usb enclosure i reckon
          Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

I wont be going for this at all myself, when it comes time for the install, i shall be starting off by literally dumping my existing PC as it stands into the boot, wiring it all up and fitting the screen. Then when im sure things are running nicely i shall be downsizing to a smaller case, at that point i will be looking at a slimline dvd up front somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by elmo
              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ayphotohosting

Designed to allow a standard IDE CD/DVD to be connected using USB connection, obviously the powering for it comes from a standard pin connection through a wall socket adapter but you could just scrap that in favour of the power from your opus or whatever you are using

What do you think?
              My thoughts on this is don't get it. Get a firewire one.
              -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

I have that exact one, It works ok, but the PS (which i would assume your not using anyways) has trouble powering up a 200GB drive
                it would take me about 3-5 plug ins and unplugs to get it to start and stay running

Comment

I have 3 of those units

1 at home, when backuping files for friends
                  1 spare
                  1 in my car (for the DVD player)

They all work fine. I assume they arent the highest quality, but I did get about 2.5Mb/sec, on my laptop, so thats fast enough for me, and for the DVD player.

Firewire ones are better, since firewire takes less CPU than USB. However, most PC's DO have USB2, and don't have firewire. And for the price.... you always can get a better one at a later moment.
                  My Opel Astra 1993 CarPC: http://www.djsmiley.com/projects/carpc/photos/

Comment

Working...
                  X