Via Epia mii 12k or 10k

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Via Epia mii 12k or 10k

Hey guys, Im in the stage of aquiring parts for my Truck PC. I've decided on the Epia series and trying to decide between the 12k or the 10k model. I was thinking about getting the 12K since it has the PCMIA slot (not sure if that is correct but the slot for laptop cards) since i would like to use the PCI slot for a nice sound card & the PCMIA slot for a nice wifi ward or vice versa. Though i have also thought about going with the 10K and use the PCI for either sound card and a USB for wifi or vice versa.

MY REAL Q's (for those with ADD) is if you have the 10k and use a PCI sound card and USB wifi how do you find the reception? also any perticular model of USB wifi that you recomend that is easy to mod an external antenna too? 2nd Q is if you use a USB sound card how do you find the quality, Reading some reviews I hear that there can be alot of troubles and issues with USB sound devices. Also while just writing this up another Q poped into my head what version is the USB on both these models 2.0? I'll have to go search that up while waiting for a response i guess but in case anyone knows right off the bat chime in. Thanks
    CarDomain www.cardomain.com/id/mike_t_44

Good questions. It looks like you need to do more research though

The MII 12k and 10k both come with PCMCIA (PC Card slot) and CF slots.

I would use the PCI card for sound and the USB for Wifi. I purchased a Buffalo USB Wireless card and it has an external antenna connector so reception is great. It is USB 2
    -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Man I must be blind or the pics are not of the actuall board. the 2 im looking at are the 2 boards in the Mp3car store. So if the 10k does have that card slot the same as the 12k then I may as well just go for it since its cheaper. But I didn't think my eyes were that bad haha. Ya im trying to find which would be better to have as USB either the sound card or the wifi, im leaning toward wifi on the usb. Thanks for the input though.
      CarDomain www.cardomain.com/id/mike_t_44

Comment

Hawking Hi Gain Antenna

http://www.hawkingtech.com/prodSpec.php?ProdID=145
        Hawking makes a GREAT hi gain antenna. I've got it on my router at home and it more than doubled my coverage. I haven't seen the buffalo adapters, but...
        IF the connecter would work on that adapter then you could increase your reception using this thing (assuming you could find a good spot in the truck for it) as it also works with the adapters, according to the description.
        Better chances of reception if you are syncing MP3's or wardriving.
        I've got a little ford ranger I'm still planning on too, and I've come into a second one of these, so I'm thinking about mounting it.
        Thanks for the Heads Up on the Buffalo adapter!
        Blind Willy
        Network Janitor for the visually challenged
        www.blindwilly.com
        '94 Ford Ranger
        1% complete. (I'm still planning it out)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_t_44
          Man I must be blind or the pics are not of the actuall board. the 2 im looking at are the 2 boards in the Mp3car store. So if the 10k does have that card slot the same as the 12k then I may as well just go for it since its cheaper. But I didn't think my eyes were that bad haha. Ya im trying to find which would be better to have as USB either the sound card or the wifi, im leaning toward wifi on the usb. Thanks for the input though.
          You're blind, I guess.
          Here's a link to the specs of the MII series boards at VIA's website: http://www.viaembedded.com/product/e...herboardId=202
          Make note of the Onboard CardBus / CompactFlash controller that's listed.

Most people tend to lean toward the USB soundcards not because of sound quality, but because of size. I haven't seen a small PCI sound card yet, let alone one with decent sound quality.
          If you've got the space for a full-height PCI sound card, I'd use that, saving the USB ports. That's just my opinion.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_t_44
            Or you're a dumbass. The boards in the MP3Car store are the M10000 and the MII12000. Not the MII10000.

Check LogicSupply or Mini-Box

Comment

The buffalo uses the MC Connecter so no matter what connector it has there should be an adapter for it.

In my opinion skip the sound card and use the SPDIF. Spend the money on an amp that takes digital input or a decent DSP
              -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Working...
              X