Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP startup issues - intermittent!

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can give me some clue of what to check..

My car pc (based on M10000) starts up when I switch the power on via a switch.
    The PC boots, I get the XP Pro bar running along.
    I hear the speakers 'pop' slightly as the sound card is initialised - and then approx. 50% of the time the screen goes black and instead of the mouse cursor appearing (then the welcome screen), nothing appears.
    The drive is not being utilised at this time - no lights.

If I power off/on the system then I get the 'System did not start properly last time - do you want safe mode?' message and have to wait 30 secs... then it may or may not happen again.

Can anyone shed any clues as to what to check?
    i'm guessing it's a device driver init problem - but everything works ok when it does boot.

I'm running:
    M10000
    No PCI/AGP cards
    8" Lilliput Touchscreen with USB connection for touchscreen
    BU-303(??) GPS mouse connected to USB

Thanks

Craig
    Components: Lilliput 8" Touch, M10000 Nehemiah, 40GB Hitachi 2.5" Hdd, WPPS80 DC-DC power supply, custom enclosure, GPS Mouse, MediaRemote, Zippy Illuminated Mini Keyboard
    To Do: Sort out my startup issues - Build tank circuit.
    % Complete: 95

Looks like you graphic subsystem is not initiated properly. There may be 2 treasons for that - your memory can have intermittent problems (CLE266 uses shared memory so it "eats" block from your main memory), or drivers you use may have some issues. What BIOS / VGA drivers you use?

Comment

you have tried turning the screen on and off when the screen goes black havent you?
      Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Originally posted by LagunaICE
        Looks like you graphic subsystem is not initiated properly. There may be 2 treasons for that - your memory can have intermittent problems (CLE266 uses shared memory so it "eats" block from your main memory), or drivers you use may have some issues. What BIOS / VGA drivers you use?
        From the top of my head, the bios before 1.16 - 1.13 rings a bell...
        The VGA driver will be approx 5/6 months old.
        I'll get the PC out the car in a bit and let you know specifics
        Components: Lilliput 8" Touch, M10000 Nehemiah, 40GB Hitachi 2.5" Hdd, WPPS80 DC-DC power supply, custom enclosure, GPS Mouse, MediaRemote, Zippy Illuminated Mini Keyboard

Comment

Originally posted by Nic
          you have tried turning the screen on and off when the screen goes black havent you?
          Yeah, I still come back to a black screen.
          I'm sure windows hasn't loaded in the background as I never hear the XP startup sound - plus I get the message about not booting safely, as opposed to a scandisk due to the system not being shut down properly.

Comment

update the bios/drivers?

maybe run memtest86 on the ram you are using? As LagunaICE points out, you are using shared memory, so if there is a prob there, it could affect video before XP starts.....
            Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

Ok, Memory tests out fine...

Boots fine inside when connected to DC PSU - without the USB devices attached... coincidence?

Perhaps a touch/gps driver issue...?

Still investigating!! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by badass101
                Ok, Memory tests out fine...

Boots fine inside when connected to DC PSU - without the USB devices attached... coincidence?

Perhaps a touch/gps driver issue...?

Still investigating!! :-)
                Laguna is probably right about it being a driver issue. You can try to see where in the system initialization the boot process dies to possibly narrow things down a bit. Edit your boot.ini file (is a hidden file, google for howto if you need detailed instructions) and add /SOS to the end of the boot string.

example:
                multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /SOS

This will show you the system drivers as they load (ala Linux) instead of the running WinXP status bar. Since your problem happens approx. 50% of the time, try to notice at what file your issue occurs. That file is the last one to load successfully.
                Then try to find the file right after that one next time your system boots up successfully. That would be the culprit (or starting point to determine where to look next).
                __
                Amoebacowboy

"Do Not Taunt Happy-Fun Ball"

Comment

Originally posted by badass101
                  Yeah, I still come back to a black screen.
                  I'm sure windows hasn't loaded in the background as I never hear the XP startup sound - plus I get the message about not booting safely, as opposed to a scandisk due to the system not being shut down properly.
                  was just making sure
                  Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Originally posted by Nic
                    was just making sure
                    Yeah, i know - sorry, I wasn't being funny! Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Amoebacowboy
                      Laguna is probably right about it being a driver issue. You can try to see where in the system initialization the boot process dies to possibly narrow things down a bit. Edit your boot.ini file (is a hidden file, google for howto if you need detailed instructions) and add /SOS to the end of the boot string.

example:
                      multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /SOS
                      Excellent plan - I'll give it a go.

I've found it's guaranteed not to start first boot, but works on a power off/power on cycle sraight after about 90% of the time! (I have no reset button)

I will definately try and trace it better using your method.
                      I had a thought that it seems to be something needing to initialise - then I thought maybe the GPS mouse? Is it hanging boot as it hasn't aquired satellites yet?

Will test the situation with the suggested option switched on and post my results!

Comment

Definitely not a video issue. Sounds like a powering problem to me (I'd even bet money on it ).
                        AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                        Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                        Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                        -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

What makes you say that Brady?
                          And what do you think isn't getting powered properly? the usb devices?

Comment

Ok,

Tried the /SOS switch - all the white drivers text whizzes through, I get the 'XP blah blah uniprocessor' load screen, then the text about checking the hard drive and the volume is clean - then it just hangs there.
                            Now concluded that it's guaranteed not to boot first time in the car, but guaranteed to boot 1st time in the house - using the same power supply but being fed off the car battery in the car, and a AC-DC brick in the house.

Also, the situation is the same if the car is running or stopped!

Help!

Craig

Comment

Ok,

Another update for you all - with some more testing it seems it doesn't like to boot all the way into windows without the engine running - or at least, it's less successful.

However, once it's booted and is into windows, I can turn off the engine and everything is fine.
                              Also, it can handle a reboot (Start - > Shutdown -> Reboot) from this state and comes back fine.

Any more ideas?
                              I'm thinking Brady is right with his power idea, but I don't know what to do to test/fix the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X