Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

digital hvac control relocation, do they exist?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• digital hvac control relocation, do they exist?

I was talking with someone earlier today about putting a headunit where my heater/ac controls are ... and he said it wouldn't be too hard and he's done it before.

He said he's also gone as far as getting a digital touch sensitive HVAC controller ... he said it's kind of like a touch screen, and climate control, etc... where you can set a temperature and it does the rest... and you put this in place of the original controller with the knobs, etc.

any of you guys know anything about this? where can i find this stuff?

youre pretty much looking at a custom built setup. there is no premade kits for this afaik unless you look at factor setups.
    Your everyday carpc geek and tech guru at your service. *bow*

Comment

Originally posted by mattress
      I was talking with someone earlier today about putting a headunit where my heater/ac controls are ... and he said it wouldn't be too hard and he's done it before.

He said he's also gone as far as getting a digital touch sensitive HVAC controller ... he said it's kind of like a touch screen, and climate control, etc... where you can set a temperature and it does the rest... and you put this in place of the original controller with the knobs, etc.

any of you guys know anything about this? where can i find this stuff?
      I've been considering this to make room and to have auto temp control. I'm pretty sure you'll have to roll your own. Ever car is different.

Buy your factory service manuals. Invaluable to have the schematic in front of you. 2 of my 3 controls are just cables attached to a horn which is moved by the dials with around 45 degrees of movement. Perfect job for a servo. Which just leaves me with a lower profile multi position switch for the other or PIC based with some segmented leds.
      GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

Originally posted by shotgunefx
        I've been considering this to make room and to have auto temp control. I'm pretty sure you'll have to roll your own. Ever car is different.

Buy your factory service manuals. Invaluable to have the schematic in front of you. 2 of my 3 controls are just cables attached to a horn which is moved by the dials with around 45 degrees of movement. Perfect job for a servo. Which just leaves me with a lower profile multi position switch for the other or PIC based with some segmented leds.
        You're right about most just being a cam with a cable on it. However, the big problem is usually the selector for the various modes (Def, A/C, Vent, Feet, Head, etc). Most people have been trying to find a way to physically move that knob, obviously to no avail. You need too much torque, and then you have to make your movements based on position.

What I would like to do is eliminate the factory control module completely, and replace it with a mjulti-way electronically-actuated solenoid. That way you could open and close the various vacuum lines easily. The catch? I haven't found a solenoid that would fit the bill under several hundred dollars.

Comment

On my car the position selector isn't bad at all. I didn't have my dash in for months and I was just using my fingers to move the cables. Nice and easy.

I don't see how you could move the control knob easily (fanspeed and some other functions on mine on my car), Not even so much move it, but I mean physically fit something in there without making it bigger. So if I go that route eventually, I'll probably replace the fan switch with a PCB.
          GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

just a nice custom GUI frontend and basic temp control logic (ie heater tap/aircon/fan speed vs desired temp) for an i/o device like http://www.dontronics.com/giga.html#io24 for example then the indvidual could orginize the details for his/her car.

Allan

Comment

Check the hot rod parts out. Damn guys, what century is this? Nobody uses stuff like this in new cars, but vintage air makes a digital one I think, and I'm sure I saw another one. I'd do some googling for you, but no matter what I'm sure you're gonna be changing a lot of the system out for a better aftermarket one. (Thats what I want to do). You might be able to get their control computer and modify the connections to fit your own system.

Dave

Comment

I know that Red Dot makes one but i've never been able to find a price on it. They make alot of HVAC components for heavy trucks. It was a single DIN size. However this is not listed in there online catalog, so it may not be available anymore.

Dingo
                Progress: Installed and working. Needs some cleanup and trim work done. now for complete integration.
                91 Jeep Cherokee 8" custom lift, 3/4 ton running gear 36" swampers, Snorkel, Onboard air, Onboard Shower. Now with in dash PC!

Comment

Working...
                X