USB DVD drive not reading dics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB DVD drive not reading dics

I am trying to get my Toshiba slimline DVD drive to work. I can boot with it attached to the USB adapter and XP will pick it up nut whenever there is a disc in the drive it will attempt to read then windows give the USB disconnect sound and the drive disappears from my computer and the safely remove hardware prompt goes away. I have test the drive on just straight IDE and it works fine but for some reason it will not work on USB. Any Ideas?

that sounds like a power issue. some people have had problems with their DVD drives not getting enough power. did your adapter come with a USB or PS2 power adapter?
    EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
    Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
    OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
    Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
    BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
    VoomPC 2

Comment

I'm glad you edited the title ;-)
      Kimi ga kawareba, Seikaimo kawaru!

Comment

it is actually plugged into a floppy drive power cable. the Adapter I bought was the one that Logic supply sells for slimline drives, so I would think it would be getting enough power.

Yeah I saw the title and about fell over, so I tried fixing it.

Comment

SFiorito it was a power issue I used a different power connector and everything is fine now. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

a-ha!! never doubt my powers! just kidding. I had the same problem kind of. Installing XP from my slimdvd with USB would die unless I plugged in the power adaptor. I can watch DVD's from it without the power adaptor though.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
            VoomPC 2

Comment

ok tried installing the carPC last Sat. and had the same issue with the keypower powersupply. I tried another power connector and it didnt fix the issue this time. Are there any other options that I might try to make sure my dvd drive is getting enough power?

Comment

some people say to tap into the 5V line from the powersupply

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                VoomPC 2

Comment

so reverse to floppy drive plug? yellow to red and red to yellow?

Comment

you'll just need the ground and red (red is 5V I think) from the powersupply. it may be best to just buy wire and a plug to fit the drive from radio shack so you don't have to hack apart your existing power cable.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                    VoomPC 2

Comment

well I have a molex pin remover and I have already hacked a Floppy plug off of an old power supply. I will just try soldering the plug first and testing with a multimeter. Thank sfor the Idea though.

Comment

I have split the red and the black from the molex connector running power to my lilliput up front, Can I simply splice into these lines and split them to the dvd player?
                        mobo $130 ; 150wOpus-$200 ; 256mb pc2700 -$10 ; 120gb HDD 7200-$70 ; Lilliput TS 7"-$265 ; USB LAN-Free AR ; Rikaline 6010 GPS-$34 ; ShuttleXpress-$37
                        Total = $746....Carputer = Priceless

Comment

from what he said it seems it is possible.

Comment

the lilliput needs 12V which is yellow. the USB device needs 5V which is red.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                            VoomPC 2

Comment

I checked my plug and the drive is alrady on the 5V power line. If I would have swapped it with the 12V, it would be bye bye slimline dive. Any other options? I will have to test my Keypower PSU and see how far off the 5V rail is from true 5V. Maybe that is why it keeps shutting off.

Comment

Working...
                              X