Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Split XM and GPS Signal (Use only one antenna?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split XM and GPS Signal (Use only one antenna?)

Has anyone tried splitting the signal from one antenna to go to both XM and GPS? I'd rather not mount two antennas.

you might be able to find a combo antenna, but your not going to be able to split the signal from the same antenna
    肚子笑痛了
    S60 Install

Comment

XM and GPS probably use very different frequencies, which means different antenna configurations are required.
      Epox EP-3VWB+ w/VIA C3 750MHz
      Crystalfontz 632 16x2 LCD
      DWW-7VGA 7" Indash VGA w/Touchscreen
      Garmin GPS 18 USB
      Terk XMD1000 XM Tuner (My VB6 Class)
      Scantool.net ElmScan ISO (My VB6 Class)
      PSK-3100 Traveller Keyboard

Comment

I was under the impression that XM also transmitted GPS as a part of their feed. Of course I might be completely off-base here. But I thought frodo's new app used GPS extracted from XM (i only skimmed the site so i may have mis-interpreted).

edit: here's the page
        http://www.mp3car.com/tracker/tracker.html

. This page uses a custom XM Radio client that uploads GPS coordinates, Song Info (and soon OBDII data) to a webservice.(Via cell phone) This allows the vehicle to be tracked
        I guess it's a bit ambiguos, so I'm not sure if that means you need a seperate GPS source or not.

Comment

it is seperate
          -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

XM radio only has two geosynchronous satellites. To get any sort of GPS reading, you typically need at least 3 satellites (4 to get altitude).. and even then your accuracy may not get over 200ft. To get the 30ft or better accuracy you need to pull in 6 or more satellites, which most GPS receivers can (I think most can do up to 12 satellites).
            Epox EP-3VWB+ w/VIA C3 750MHz
            Crystalfontz 632 16x2 LCD
            DWW-7VGA 7" Indash VGA w/Touchscreen
            Garmin GPS 18 USB
            Terk XMD1000 XM Tuner (My VB6 Class)
            Scantool.net ElmScan ISO (My VB6 Class)
            PSK-3100 Traveller Keyboard

Comment

XM and GPS run on different frequency ranges as well as different polarization.

Most XM antennas use a active design. The receiver actually powers a small amplifier and filter in the antenna.. external GPS antennas are usually not active.

All of these differences make it practically impossible for both services to share the same antenna.

Comment

Working...
              X