Laptop HD vs. Reg one

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop HD vs. Reg one

trying to decide which to use. are the main differences just going to be size and power difference? id prefer to use a normal ide hd so i can store more files, but i want to make sure that theres not a huge power difference between the two
    my setup - finally
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50494

laptop uses less power and is more shock resistant.

Comment

Physical size: The laptop is smaller
      Power consumption: laptop uses less
      Price for storage: the Desktop drive is way less expensive per Gig
      Durability: Some claim it matters and get the laptop drive. I have been using a desktop drive for more than 5 years without any trouble.

Do a search on 2.5 3.5 hard drive or laptop vs desktop

Lots of material, Any little bit of searching would have told you your answers.
      TruckinMP3
      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

ahh, i did a search on the word harddrive as one word and only a few things came up, i need to work on my searching ability
        my setup - finally
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50494

Comment

Try "hard drive" not "harddrive" Try the terms TruckinMp3 suggested.

Both work. Some swear 3.5" drives aren't reliable enough. I have used both. The only issue I had was using the ITPS with the 3.5" drive. Doesn't always supply the full power the drive needs and results in freeze up.

If you get a respectable power regulator like Opus or Carnetix, you won't have this problem. Given the low cost per gig of the 3.5", you could afford to buy 2 vs. a laptop. If you don't care whether your 3.5" ****s the bed and can easily reload the OS and software from a clone of the original drive, then that may sway your decision.

Also, my 2.5" drive has fluid bearings to reduce noise. They work great all the way down to 15 degrees. After that, you gotta wait a couple of minutes for the system to warm up and then reboot to get it to work.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
          X