No announcement yet.

Built my car pc, booted it up, and processor went up in flames... please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Built my car pc, booted it up, and processor went up in flames... please help

I might have missed something really basic here. I can't think of what I've done wrong, but it might be really, really stupid. If it is, please don't laugh... I've been building computers for a long time and this has never happened.

Basically I just put everything together in my basement. I have an Opus 150w for the car, but I was using a different (normal AC->DC) ATX PSU for building purposes.

Here are the specs:

> Athlon Mobile 2500+ CPU
    > Biostar M7NCG 400 Motherboard
    > 256 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM

That's pretty much all that was connected. The case I bought doesn't have a power or reset button, so I just took them from another case I had and put them on.

So I press power and I hear a very strange noise. Kind of like a malfunctioning fan. But there weren't any fans hooked up besides the PSU, but it is brand new and the noise definitely wasn't coming from there.

Then I start seeing smoke and can smell something burning... definitely from the CPU. I pull the plug on the PSU, try and find something wrong, and then come here asking for help.

One thing I should mention is that I don't have a heatsink and/or fan on the CPU. I can't see this causing a processor to go up in flames though, after running for an entire second...

The Biostar manual is a big POS, but I don't think that there are any jumpers I needed to play with.

What on Earth did I do wrong?

Help much appreciated...
    '03 Intensa Blue Pearl Lexus IS300

Specs: Xenarc 700TS, Opus 150W PSU, CarCPU Case, 2.0 GHz Celeron D, DFI PS-35-BL, SB Audigy2 NX, Centrafuse 1.4

Progress: Car PC up and running!
    To Do: Navigation, WiFi, AM/FM Radio, DVD

u way want to try a fan and heat sink on the cpu next time ?
    View My Blog

Click for 2GB FREE on-line storage!

Comment

Originally posted by djmickyg
      u way want to try a fan and heat sink on the cpu next time ?

I didn't think it would be a problem. I was only planning on running it for less than a minute.

But really, could that be it? Damn... what about the noise the processor was making?

Is my CPU and motherboard toast?

Specs: Xenarc 700TS, Opus 150W PSU, CarCPU Case, 2.0 GHz Celeron D, DFI PS-35-BL, SB Audigy2 NX, Centrafuse 1.4

Comment

That's it. These things fry about as fast as you can cycle your board on then off. NEVER RUN WITHOUT A HEATSINK. Oh well, it happens. Your board should be alright, but the cpu is probably toast.

Comment

Originally posted by ACHIEVER
          That's it. These things fry about as fast as you can cycle your board on then off. NEVER RUN WITHOUT A HEATSINK. Oh well, it happens. Your board should be alright, but the cpu is probably toast.
          Damn...

I never knew that. I was a little hesitant to start it up without the heatsink, but then I figured there's no way it could cause a problem.

You live, you learn...

Not the most expensive mistake I've ever made, so I guess that's OK

Comment

ouch...

Comment

Don't feel bad. I toasted a $500 screen by failing to follow static grounding procedures. Zzzzzt. Please flush $500 down the toilet.
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Put a fan on the heatsink too unless you have a really big heatsink designed to be run without a fan. Athlons run hot, the mobile athlons are a bit cooler, but yea your processor is likely toast.
                Carputer installed!!!
                Nlited XP+Minlogon, EpiaM10k, 512mb, Seagate 40 gig 2.5" HD, FM Dlink usb radio, DWL122 USB Wifi, XMD1000 tuner, PT5071 6 amp regulator, Xenarc 700TSV, and 1 ikea key box.

Comment

The old Pentium I's & II's could run without heatsinks for a minute or so with no problems. Even the new Intel chips are supposed to have overheat protection in them... But it's not true of the Athlons. No thermal protection = flash fires....
                  Take Pics! Then make it into a keychain and take more pics!
                  http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                  CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                  Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Yep, the boxed Athlons used to include a warning sticker in the box indicating that processor damage would result IMMEDIATELY if you ran it without the supplied fan and heatsink. These things are burning up 50-100W+! At those power levels, massive heat build-up is near instantaneous.
                    2004 4runner

Comment

yeah. i read an article over at tomes hardware guide that even included a video. basically what was proven was that the intel proc's were able to either continue running if the heat got too high (speed was throttled down low enough to get temps in a normal range) or would in the very least lock up to essentially get the cpu to 0% usage. the AMD's werent as lucky. couple seconds after the heatsink was removed, all you could see was smoke coming off the cpu and the die literally melted.
                      Your everyday carpc geek and tech guru at your service. *bow*

Comment

Originally posted by rando
                        Yep, the boxed Athlons used to include a warning sticker in the box indicating that processor damage would result IMMEDIATELY if you ran it without the supplied fan and heatsink. These things are burning up 50-100W+! At those power levels, massive heat build-up is near instantaneous.
                        yea, haha think about a 50-100W light bulb and how hot and fast they get that hot.
                        1990 Jeep Cherokee
                        2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                        2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                        X