Water cooling proposal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water cooling proposal?

im just wondering if anyone has ever contemplated a slightly over-the-top water cooling setup for their carpc's? this is just a quick idea i thought up, but for those who have their pc's installed in the dash: install your basic water cooling system and rather than have the radiator installed somewhere behind the dash with a fan, install the radiator near the car's radiator and extend the tubing through the engine compartment (away from the engine of course. maybe down the 2 sides) to the carpc radiator.

again, this is just a quick idea i thought up and was wondering if anyone else has thought of doing this? imo, this would probably be the best method seeing as ive heard many people here having heat problems when installed in a confined area like the dash, and the fact that having the radiator installed in an area where it can get great airflow without needing a fan.
    Your everyday carpc geek and tech guru at your service. *bow*

I thought of doing it because I had it on my home system, but the possibility of leaks and the coolant freezing.

I will sell you my remaining components for water cooloing if you are interested.

Comment

Yikes, your going to open a forum on this one! I personall like the idea for those of us running "over the top for a car pc application" computers.

Comment

fridg-ed

Why not just stuff the CPU inside one of those portable refrigerators that run off of 12v?

wait... ummm oh yea... condensation. That would be "bad"
        Car: 1997 VW Passat TDI moving to
        1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D
        CPU: HP ePC 1gig/256meg/250 gig
        Xenarc & GPS & RadioShark
        ToGo: DC-to-DC conversion, Grease conversion

Comment

I thought it was cool on my home PC but to many variables fo use in car applications.

dangerden RBX AMD Water block
          Hydor l30 pump
          JR120 Radiator

for sell, $80 shipped for whomever wants it

Comment

Yes

I am currently on my 6th Water cooled PC and I am buying parts right now for number 7 I considered water cooling my carpc but the Epic chip just doesn't get that warm and the p4 I tried sucked too much juice to keep running..
            My current System is a water cooled VGA, Chip set and CPU with a three 120mm fans on a Thermochill he120.3 raditor and a eheim 1250 GPH pump
            CPU block of Polarflo
            Chipset block si dangerden
            Vga Block is also Dangerden
            the whole system is nearly 17feet of 1/2 ID neon green glow tubing. in a mountainmods.com black UPO cube case.

for my next one code named Oberon
            I have contacted mountainmobs about making me a double tall case that will contain

3 thermochill he120.3 raditors
            8 WD 10k RPM drives hooked to a 3ware controler.
            Dual ATI 850XT Pro's uin SLI mode (if ATI gets off there *** or it will be dual 6800 Ultras)

8 watercooled hard drives
            2 Water cooled Video cards
            Possible Dual Water cooled CPU but it will most likely be a single CPU.

Comment

Good GOD, are you crunching numbers for SETI or what?

Comment

no it is just cool (no pun intended) and bragging rights. Speaking for myself, but I am sure it is his case as well

Comment

Originally posted by Dudes99
                  Good GOD, are you crunching numbers for SETI or what?

Nope I am a single computer geek with no bills and a addiction to technology,
                  I also have a 15kv UPS to run most of my home for no good reason other then I got it cheap and its cool to be watching a DVD movie in 7.1 with the subs kicking when the rest of the area is blacked out..

(so far has only happened twice but its funny as hell)

Comment

Spend the money you'd spend on a water cooled system on cooler processor such as an EPIA board or something...
                    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
                    Via EPIA MII
                    512MB RAM
                    OEM GPS (embedded)
                    nLite WinXP pro on
                    1GB Extreme III CF card
                    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
                    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

because when the space behind your dash is big enough to fit EVERYTHING, id rather go with a good setup (micro-atx w/ 3 pcislots, 2gig celly, etc..) than an underpowered EPIA. while i have nothing against the mini-itx mobo's, id only go with one if i was really limited on space.

Comment

anyhow, the main thing i wanted to know was your opinions on the relocated radiator idea. it should work without a problem, its just a matter of taster and personal preference. IF heat becomes an issue in mycarpc, this would probably be my first line of defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Vchat20
                          anyhow, the main thing i wanted to know was your opinions on the relocated radiator idea. it should work without a problem, its just a matter of taster and personal preference. IF heat becomes an issue in mycarpc, this would probably be my first line of defense.
                          You'd need a powerful pump to move the water up to the front of the car and back.
                          Also, I'd wonder if the heat from the engine compartment might nullify any effects of the watercooling. Water temps run 150-200 degrees for an engine. That's far too hot for your CPU.
                          Then there's the issue of something causing a fitting to come loose where you can't get to it. That would result in a fried CPU while driving. Not good.

Personally, I think you'd have better results if you had your vents blowing on the radiator inside the car.
                          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by belezeebub
                            Nope I am a single computer geek with no bills and a addiction to technology, I also have a 15kv UPS to run most of my home for no good reason other then I got it cheap and its cool to be watching a DVD movie in 7.1 with the subs kicking when the rest of the area is blacked out..

(so far has only happened twice but its funny as hell)
                            My battery backup came in handy when the power was out in the middle of the night. Was able to plug up my lamp and everyone else in the building was out in the dark. Plus the music playing on the laptop added to the slap in the face.

Are there any good and up-to-date tutorials out there talking about water-cooling. All my Googling turns up parts and supplies which is cool but I need more information before buying. I'm primarily looking for part descriptions, pump information along with tube lengths, and, well you get the idea. Any information, the better.

Thanks,
                            Derek
                            Progress [||-------]
                            View my Worklog to see some of my progress.
                            Downgraded Progress - Starting with another car... 09/13/06

Comment

Watercooling is useless if the ambient temperature of the water is above the CPU temperature. Your geographic location is also a factor.

I'm a firm believer it won't work.

Comment

Working...
                              X