Please tell me my mobo aint bad!?!?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please tell me my mobo aint bad!?!?!

i was folling around trying to get my sdc to work .. i slid the jumper on the power switch and the computer immediately booted. On the screen it said ESDC update... success then sat there. I turned it off and back on.. and now when i power it it gives out one short beep followed about 3 seconds later with a high low sound. I've been reading up on the award bios and it says the high/low sound repeating means a bad processor... but mine only happens one time.. and only after that first initial short beep. ANyone have any idea of what this could be? I tried clearing the CMOS with both battery removal and the jumper and it makes no difference. One thing i should note is recently my memory dropped from 512 to 248 as read in windows for seemingly no reason. Also, my computer has been automatically restarting itself when i shutdown. anyone with any idea what that code means. Am i *****ed???
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Take out and try different RAM you might have a bad stick.
    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
    Via EPIA MII
    512MB RAM
    OEM GPS (embedded)
    nLite WinXP pro on
    1GB Extreme III CF card
    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

i'd take it back, sounds like a few too many things going wrong.

Comment

Sonicxtacy02,

Look in you motherboards book or go to the manufactures website and in the support section there should be a manual telling you what those beeps are. They are code for something that is wrong on the board. Don't screw around with maybe it's this or maybe it's that. Just go look and replace the part. Hope this helps.
        B-52 Crew Chief

What do the wings do again??

E_Vectra, 60GB, 256MB RAM, 7" DYNAMIX TS, FLEX USB KEYBOARD, CD ROM, Dlink USB Radio

Comment

Is it Award or AMI BIOS mobo? If you could find out (for example from manufacturers BIOS update webpage), you can google beep to human readable error code translation table.

Comment

Its not ram... i just switched sticks and the problem is still there. I believe all epia's are award bios... i looked up codes on alot of sites but the only one that sounds close is the high/low repeating... mine only does high/low once after an initial regular sounding beep. In lookin at the board i can see small scorchmarks on something on the bottom left of the board (if IDE slots are facing up) I figure it may have something to do with that since i didnt notice them there before. I dont even know what kinda warranty this board carries. I know i've had it less than a year. Anyone else had to do a return with mini-itx.com ???

Comment

unplug it from any power source, then clear CMOS via jumper or remving the battery for a few seconds.

Comment

I've tried both ways... it made no difference.

This is the support award provides for beep codes:

"Beep Codes

The only AwardBIOS beep code indicates that a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information. This beep code consists of a single long beep followed by two short beeps. Any other beeps are probably a RAM (Random Access Memory) problems."

How GENERIC is that? I dont even know if i'm reading that correctly. I interpret it as the only two things that cause the beep code are video problems or RAM. I know the ram code and confirmed its not that. So i guess i'll try to plug in a video card n go from there. I'm really hoping this thing aint dead. ITX board prices have gone up

Comment

RESULTS!!!.. i hooked up my old ATI all in wonder VE to the mobo and the first beep goes away... the high/low is still there and the error messages read on the screen is BIOS rom checksum error. Does this mean i gotta reflash the bios or will clearing the cmos work?

Comment

try replacing the CMOS battery with a new one.

also look for any burn marks on the motherboard.

one of my old mobo's was beeping at me and i looked around the circuits and found that i shorted something.

hope you figure out what the problem is.
                    2001 Acura CL traded for a 2006 Subaru Legacy GT
                    7" Lilliput Touchscreen
                    NANO-ITX+m1-atx
                    512 DDRsodimm
                    60g SATA Laptop HD
                    4x Apple DVDslot
                    digimoto OBDii
                    mS GPS
                    mini BT keyboard
                    relocated HU faceplate

Comment

sounds like you flashed with the wrong bios possibly, if not try entering bios and just save changes and exit. I"ve had bad checksums before after flashing and everything is fine.
                      PC Components:
                      Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                      My work log

Comment

i do see a burn mark as noted above. It wont let me get past that screen.. its telling me to insert a disk in drive A: ... its looking to be flashed now. I dont have an A: drive or a cd-rom at this point. I'm gonna have to figure another way.

Comment

so the on board video is bad, and you see burn marks? Bad deal. try entering BIOS and loading fail safe defaults, save and exit. see if that helps.

Comment

cant get to bios... says Insert SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. I have the bios file and utility, now i just have to figure out how to get it on there. I have an external usb hard drive but cant find the files needed to make it bootable. I need io.sys and msdos.sys particularly. I think if i get those on this usb drive i can use it to get to the C prompt and flash the bios that way.

Comment

Question, can i just add the files to the external drive or do i have to do a full reformat?

Comment

Working...
                              X