No announcement yet.

Put laptop drive in dash?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put laptop drive in dash?

I am gonna be using my older toshiba laptop as my car computer, i got the xenarc screen, got a d-link usb tuner all that, now this is my plan.

I am gonna leave the laptop in the trunk of my car from where I will hook up the d-link to the radio antenna, hook up all my power and everything for the laptop in the back. Now I am thinking, I have an overhead console in my car that I never use and I was thinking of taking out the laptop dvd drive from my laptop and custom fabbing it in the overhead console in the front, my only concern is, can I run a cable that long from the laptop to the front of my car? I know the laptop optical drives use a 50-pin ATAPI IDE Interface Connector, if I build myself a wire, do you think it would be possible that it would still work?

you should use an USB or firewire enclosure for the slim drive.

my computer only has usb 1.0 and no firewire, if i have i can get a pcmcia firewire card i guess, or usb 2 card but my laptop won't start unless the dvd drive is in the computer, so means i would have to get another drive or something which I don't really want to do