hard drive mounting questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard drive mounting questions

can i mount a hard drive vertically and standing up? So flat against a wall as an example standing straight up tall?

anyone see problems with that?
    [4Runna]

next - wifi

of course you can, most poeple recommend vertical anyway (personally i dont think it makes a difference), I dont see any issues with it being standing tall.
    PC Components:
    Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
    My work log

Comment

just make sure that its mounted parallel to the car so that if you make a hard stop, the read/write heads dont go crashing into the platters and totally ******* up the drive.
      Your everyday carpc geek and tech guru at your service. *bow*

Comment

Originally posted by Vchat20
        just make sure that its mounted parallel to the car so that if you make a hard stop, the read/write heads dont go crashing into the platters and totally ******* up the drive.

BS.... it does not matter what orientation. Mount it firmly to the car.

Any 'potential' HD failure will probably happensitting on a desk or be power related (not well regulated). Several desktop drives have been in aut crashes and not suffered a failure... Mine has been in several and is fine.
        TruckinMP3
        D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

thanks guys
          [4Runna]

next - wifi

Comment

Originally posted by TruckinMP3
            BS.... it does not matter what orientation. Mount it firmly to the car.
            People have been fighting over this for years. Personally, what can it hurt to be extra cautious unless it's a mounting issue.
            ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Comment

Originally posted by EBFoxbat
              People have been fighting over this for years. Personally, what can it hurt to be extra cautious unless it's a mounting issue.
              It is a mounting issue. Firm mount and orientation does not matter. I have been in on most of the threads for those years you mention We have even seen a HD engineer state the the surfaces of drive platters are mostly un-scratchable due to the process used to make them
              TruckinMP3

Read the FAQ!

Comment

It is a mounting issue. Frim mount and orientation does not matter. I have been in on most of the threads for those years you mention We have even seen a HD engineer state the the surfaces of drive platters are mostly un-scratchable due to the process used to make them
                But can't you misalign the heads or bend the heads if they hit each other?
                PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                GammaControl v2.4
                SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
                  But can't you misalign the heads or bend the heads if they hit each other?
                  Silly Octopus...
                  The heads couldn't hit one another.
                  they could, however, hit the platters. That would be, as they say, bad.
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
                    Silly Octopus...
                    The heads couldn't hit one another.
                    they could, however, hit the platters. That would be, as they say, bad.
                    Yeh, I meant waht would happen if the heads hit the platters. Guess I phrased it wrong
                    GammaControl v2.4
                    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

yeah. like i said above. take the time to mount it right so it has very little chance of the heads colliding with the platters. its not like you are making a huge warranty-voiding change to the drive. just mount it vertically and parallel to the car and you will be fine.

but also, like already stated, very few people here have had any troubles with their drives running in their vehicles. most drives are hardened against some serious G forces (got an old 3GB seagate medialist here and it lists right on the label that it can withstand up to 75 G's)

Comment

All of those concerns are very unlikely. It is rare for HDs to fail. Even if you drop one several feet to a concrete landing. Orientation does not matter in a car.
                        TruckinMP3

Read the FAQ!

Comment

It is rare for HDs to fail.
                          Unless you've got a maxtor
                          GammaControl v2.4
                          SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

agreed on that one. this computer riginally came with a nice, thin, sleek 40GB maxtor. computer was manufactured in March 2003. it died sometime during may 2004. the current drive in it is a 60GB IBM Deskstar which has been chugging along since around xmas 2001. it originally was part of an old buslink drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Vchat20
                              (got an old 3GB seagate medialist here and it lists right on the label that it can withstand up to 75 G's)
                              That's most likely non operating shock though. It certainly is on newer drives.
                              Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
                              Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
                              Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

Comment

Working...
                              X