Please post Mobile Athlon compatible MOBOs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please post Mobile Athlon compatible MOBOs

I know it is mentioned here some where but there is no clear cut way of knowing which mobo is compatible with M Athlon, I am not looking for the HW hack, I am just looking for a mobo that uses the M cpu out the box.

Biostar M7NCG, also allows custom clocking out of the box. There are others as well. I'm using the Biostar.

M7NCG w/ mobile 2400+ | 512mb DDR400
    3.5" HDD | Slim DVD/CD-RW
    Linksys USB Wifi | Belkin USB BlueTooth
    Opus 150w | Xenarc 7"
    RoadRunner - Thanks Guino!

Comment

Shuttle SN41G2 for the barebones or FN41 for just the motherboard.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Pyrotek, what case are you using? What power supply?
        Kevin
        Audi A4 Carputer, 80% setup.

Comment

i assumed any motherboard will work fine with an athlon XP-M that supports athlonXP's ...

I've tried in all my boards Biostar m7ncd Pro ... a mini ATX board, etc.

if you want to OVERCLOCK IT, that's a different story. you have to have access to the BIOS to change frequencies and voltages. you can still do it with some wire tricks (i've done it!) if you BIOS doesn't allow that stuff

Comment

Originally posted by mattress
            i assumed any motherboard will work fine with an athlon XP-M that supports athlonXP's ...

I've tried in all my boards Biostar m7ncd Pro ... a mini ATX board, etc.

if you want to OVERCLOCK IT, that's a different story. you have to have access to the BIOS to change frequencies and voltages. you can still do it with some wire tricks (i've done it!) if you BIOS doesn't allow that stuff
            No!

You need access to the FSB and mulitplier for any mobo running a mobile athlon as they don't report it to the mobo like normal ones do. You can do the wire mod to force it if you don't have access to these but i would prefer a bios solution.

If you don't do this they run ar the minimun speed of the CPU. normally around 800mhz

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
              No!

You need access to the FSB and mulitplier for any mobo running a mobile athlon as they don't report it to the mobo like normal ones do. You can do the wire mod to force it if you don't have access to these but i would prefer a bios solution.

If you don't do this they run ar the minimun speed of the CPU. normally around 800mhz
              That is correct.
              Been there and done that.
              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Im gonna watch this thread. Interested in what's out there... I had no idea a Laptop CPU could be used on a regular mobo. Are these low powered CPUs? Do they require fan cooling? Sounds like this could be a nice alternative to the rather underpowered VIA EPIAs
                2002 Honda CR-V
                Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
                Spent so far: $1105.90

Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
                ...or even Listen to my music

Comment

Originally posted by justintime
                  Im gonna watch this thread. Interested in what's out there... I had no idea a Laptop CPU could be used on a regular mobo. Are these low powered CPUs? Do they require fan cooling? Sounds like this could be a nice alternative to the rather underpowered VIA EPIAs
                  Yes, they are low powered CPUs. There are versions that draw 35w and 45w. They still require cooling, but anywhere near as much as a standard AthlonXP. That means using low-profile coolers (designed for 1u or 2u rackmount servers) is an option to save space.
                  They also support the PowerNow spec, which will throttle the CPU to save power while under battery. That doesn't necessarily apply for a carPC, though.
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

nice thing is they are lower power and run cooloer but they can also be underclocked further and the voltages can be reduced below what normal XPs run at saving a lot of power.

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
                      that's odd, because that didn't happen to me. I'll have to find out what kind of mobo it is in my HTPC, but it's a micro ATX. when i put my mobile in there, it just came up as "unrecognized cpu" and it ran at proper speed.

i guess it does depend on the mobo

Comment

mattress, please come back to us with the which mobo you are using.
                        I would love to stay away from the HW hack, however, I am willing to do it if I know what it is - I googled the heck out of it but could not find any clear instruction, if any one knows please share. Thanks.

Comment

Oh, one more thing, say I don't use the HW hack, would any of the SW utilities that deals with the CPU allows me to bring its speed up. I am not looking to OC it. Just use it with any mini mobo and hopefully utilize my 150w Opus.

Comment

Working...
                          X