FM Radio and Carputer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FM Radio and Carputer

Not sure if this is the right forum but I just need to know is it possible to have FM radio with a car computer? Without running a seperate headunit?

I think I have the computer I want to use and I see all the benefits of having the mp3 and video from the computer but I still want Fm radio. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance to all
    chaskim

There is an ongoing project to get it to work. Look in the hardware development forums stickies.
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by chaskim
      but I still want Fm radio. Is it possible?
      Yup, there are several FM radio devices for PCs. I beileve most of them are USB devices. Several people use The Griffin Radioshark:
      http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/radioshark
      Avermedia and DLink also make USB radios.

There's also the AM/FM radio card that several forum members are working on:
      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40612

Finally. Many TV turner cards will tune FM radio as well. The FM frequency band is right between TV channels 6 & 7.
      My worklog.
      Status: VM GTI sold, got out of the CarPC tinkering hobby, but I still think about getting back in.

Comment

The USB radios are awful. They are good for when you are standing in one spot, but they can't hold a lock on frequency while you're driving
        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
        GammaControl v2.4
        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Have you tried XM? The carputer can do XM and it's far better than FM.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
          X