Connect Computer to Car Alarm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connect Computer to Car Alarm

I have an audiovox APS996A remote start car alarm. It has a dataport connector that is used for telematics. You can buy a module that allows you to remote start, lock/unlock, arm/disarm, etc.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the capabilities of this port are. I know it can Tx and Rx. Would it be possible to make a cable to wire to computer? Anyone know how to do this?

There would be no need for a relay card or a hundred more wires running through my car. I could control everything my alarm controls (which is the entire car) with a small cable.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    1997/Honda/Civic HB

can anyone provide a diagram or schematic on how to read a digital input with the serial port?
    1997/Honda/Civic HB

Comment

This all depends on the TX and RX methods. It's probably RS-232, in which case you'll probably hook it right up to the TX and RX pins of your RS-232 (Serial) port.

If you can tell us what the output method is, itll help alot.

Comment

I have one of these also. If we could manage to communicate with the alarm though, I doubt we could do much more than change a few of its options.

I was thinking that it would make things easier if one could be "borrowed" for a while from a local retail store, instead of having to play with the one in the vehicle.

Comment

I played with it a little bit and it shows signal on the transmit and recieve wires. I think it would be entirely possible to control all of the features of the alarm including the 7 output channels. Im going to make a serial cable and see what it is sending to those wires.
          1997/Honda/Civic HB

Comment

Working...
          X