Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing a USB Hub up-front? Read this...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a USB Hub up-front? Read this...

Hey guys. Some of you already know this, but I felt like writing it out in plain language without having to search through 100 posts.

If you are planning on putting a USB hub somewhere in your car, remember that you can not mix USB 1.0/1 and USB 2.0 devices. If you do, the USB 2.0 devices will default to USB 1.0/1 speeds and you will receive that nasty stupid icon in your task bar notifying you that your devices can run at higher speeds.

This is also true when connecting different USB devices (1.0/1 & 2.0) to ports administered by the same USB controller on your motherboard.

To solve this, I had to run two different USB lines from my computer to the hubs in my glovebox. One of the USB cables is connected to a USB 2.0 port on one controller of my motherboard while the other cable is connected to another USB 2.0 port on another controller - I keep all my USB 1.0/1 & 2.0 devices isolated on different controllers of the motherboard. So, I have 2 hubs in my glovebox: one exclusively for USB 1.0/1 devices and another exclusively for USB 2.0 devices (i.e. memory card reader and usb dvd drive).

Don't get me wrong, while there are some usb hubs that can handle both USB 1.0/1 and USB 2.0 devices simultaneously, they are difficult to find for a good price. Good luck.

-HD

I read through the Toms hardware article and find this whole situation to be somewhat confusing.

I understand that speed is hindered when USB 1.1 devices are hooked up, but according the the article his benchmark tets didnt shot a HUGE performance drop.

Now, with most of our setups where we have DVD drives and such in the front of the car with USB keyboards, mice, touchscreens, sometimes GPS recievers, etc etc... Which devices will be run simulataneoulsy to the point where they would affect overall system performance.

The obvious thing I would worry about is DVD playback when using the touchscreen, or cell phone as a modem etc. Did you notice performance issues when you had it hooked up the previous way? What exactly happened to you to make you want to change it?

Also, it really seems like there is no way to determine which chipset you have on your USB hub. Any ideas there?

Comment

Originally posted by sivart321
      I read through the Toms hardware article and find this whole situation to be somewhat confusing.

I understand that speed is hindered when USB 1.1 devices are hooked up, but according the the article his benchmark tets didnt shot a HUGE performance drop.

Now, with most of our setups where we have DVD drives and such in the front of the car with USB keyboards, mice, touchscreens, sometimes GPS recievers, etc etc... Which devices will be run simulataneoulsy to the point where they would affect overall system performance.

The obvious thing I would worry about is DVD playback when using the touchscreen, or cell phone as a modem etc. Did you notice performance issues when you had it hooked up the previous way? What exactly happened to you to make you want to change it?

Also, it really seems like there is no way to determine which chipset you have on your USB hub. Any ideas there?
      I was just getting that stupid USB icon in the taskbar whenever I connected USB 1.0/1 & 2.0 devices on the same hub. I searched here and on the internet and realized that you can't mix devices on the same controller. Thus, 2 seperate usb hubs. It only cost me about $20 more (for a 15' usb cable & a usb 2.0 hub) but saves a lot of hassle.

Comment

I didn't know that, thanks for sharing
        -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Probably the difference between a usb hub and switch, if there even is such a thing

Comment

I keep my DVD players isolated on their own 2.0 controllers without a hub. I don't care what speed the other stuff on the hub runs at.
            Fabricator

Comment

I have found that if I use a certified USB 2.0 hub I can mix devices. but if I use a standard hub I can not mix devices. I just noticed this after reading this post and doing some experiments

Comment

These USB Hubs from Belkin will auto-detect (as mentioned above) and not limit 2.0 devices when 1.1 devices are connected.
                Micco
                Project Status: Installed! (v1.0)
                Mac Mini (1.4ghz, 1G RAM, 80G HD)
                XENARC 7" (DigtalWheelz)
                Carnetix 1900 + P5V Powersupply
                AII-NIS HU Adapter
                iMic
                Belkin 7-port "Tetra" USB hub
                Front end...CCar right now.

Comment

Originally posted by chirowolf
                  I have found that if I use a certified USB 2.0 hub I can mix devices. but if I use a standard hub I can not mix devices. I just noticed this after reading this post and doing some experiments
                  how can you tell the difference between "certified" and "standard"??
                  EPIA SP13000, 512 DDR400, Seagate 300GB, Belkin PCI 802.11g w/external antenna, Holux GM-210 GPS, XM Direct w/ serial, Dlink FM, Opus 120 p\s, Rockford P4004 amp, Xenarc 7" VGA touchscreen custom mounted in double din spot -- see pics and write up here!!

Comment

Certified parts have the "Certified USB 2.0 High Speed" sticker on them.
                    Fabricator

Comment

How are you powering your hubs??

I've finding that my M1-ATX keeps turning itself off when I try and power more than 4 USB devices.
                      Voom PC case, M1-ATX, EPIA M10000, 512mb RAM, External 5.1 audio, Alpine 50w x 4 amp, 7" Lilliput in dash, WinTV USB TV/FM, RR, Autoroute & Infomap Navigator 4, Gatso Hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by Micco
                        These USB Hubs from Belkin will auto-detect (as mentioned above) and not limit 2.0 devices when 1.1 devices are connected.

I run 3 of these in my car. Belkin Tetrahubs. They have multiple Transaction translaters that allow for different speeds to be run on 1 hub.

In the front I run a usb 2.0 dvd 2.0 bluetooth and usb 1.1 ir remote and 1.1 shuttle express.. no problems at all.

These hubs are expensive (approx $30) but are very stable and can handle everything.
                        -Jack
                        2006 Chrysler 300C AWD
                        Samsung Galaxy Tab In dash

Comment

I just purchased two of the Belkin F5U231 TetraHubs last week and installed Atesyn SIL15C-12SADJ-V DC/DC converters in them. Originally installed an LM317 on the MB as there was a pad already there for one along with the two trim resistors. The regulator ran quite hot, output draw was about 1.5 amps. After switching to the Atesyn (5 volt output/15 amp) I am very pleased, although this does run a little warm. Have some pictures I could post probably.

Comment

Just wanted to verify that this is true. When I had my DVD drive hooked up to the hub alongside my TS and GPS, my movies would stutter like mad. Once I relocated everything such that my 2.0 devices were on my hub, problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                            X