Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer Building Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Computer Building Problem

    Ok, I've got this problem. Recently I adviced my friend on what computer to build for himself. And now I've got the problem of him not getting it to work properly. The hardware is all assembled and everything. It turns on, off, etc..
    But the problem is that I can't get windows to work. It either says that some files are missing or it gives me these weird errors during setup... its really driving me nuts I've tried different cd drives. Tried different XP SP2 disks.

    Oh yeh, my friend says he got the ram for $45 a stick. I told him that its too cheap to be real, but it looks real. I dunno... maybe this could be the root of the problem

    The Specs:
    GIGABYTE GA-K8NXP-SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor
    SAPPHIRE Radeon X800PRO 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 Video Card
    2x Samsung 512MB DDR 400 (PC 3200)
    Western Digital 250gb SATA
    THERMALTAKE Silent PurePower TT-420AD(DUAL FAN) 420W Power Supply
    Some RW drive
    DVD-Drive
    Floppy
    CREATIVE Sound Blaster Value
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

    1995 Lexus SC300

  • #2
    maybe his hard drive is defective?
    i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by EsKALad
      maybe his hard drive is defective?
      I don't think so. I don't get any write errors I think, just read erros from the CDs.
      Then I also got this "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" BSOD
      PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
      GammaControl v2.4
      SKINbedder v3

      1995 Lexus SC300

      Comment


      • #4
        Ram

        Its almost guaranteed to be the RAM, the installation of Windows XP is a great way of showing up defective gear...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by AdrianCase
          Its almost guaranteed to be the RAM, the installation of Windows XP is a great way of showing up defective gear...
          Ah, great

          I was suspicious when he said he saved like $50 on ram.

          Whats a good ram checker that fits on a floppy?
          PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
          GammaControl v2.4
          SKINbedder v3

          1995 Lexus SC300

          Comment


          • #6
            I've found installing Windows XP to be one of the best RAM checkers because if it can't pull of installing it with that RAM, then its damn well not going to run any good Swap the RAM for some other stuff and see if Windows installs fine...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by AdrianCase
              I've found installing Windows XP to be one of the best RAM checkers because if it can't pull of installing it with that RAM, then its damn well not going to run any good Swap the RAM for some other stuff and see if Windows installs fine...
              DDR 400 is rare to come by in my house. My development machine uses PC2700 RAM.
              PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
              GammaControl v2.4
              SKINbedder v3

              1995 Lexus SC300

              Comment


              • #8
                Oh yeh, to get setup to recognize the HD, I d/led the "driver_raid_silicon_3114r5.exe" from the gigabyte website. It detected the HD
                PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                GammaControl v2.4
                SKINbedder v3

                1995 Lexus SC300

                Comment


                • #9
                  Use the 2700 from your other machine, it will still go (the machine doesn't *require* ddr400) and be a valid test of the faulty RAM theory

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by AdrianCase
                    Use the 2700 from your other machine, it will still go (the machine doesn't *require* ddr400) and be a valid test of the faulty RAM theory
                    Yeh, but that means downtime for me

                    I'll find a memtester that is standalone hopefully soon.
                    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                    GammaControl v2.4
                    SKINbedder v3

                    1995 Lexus SC300

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
                      PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                      GammaControl v2.4
                      SKINbedder v3

                      1995 Lexus SC300

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Running memtest86 v1.55
                        Pass:1
                        Errors:21606
                        Time:26 min

                        This proves the theory of "you get what you pay for". Now he's gonna have to get new ram, and this time he'll pay more for the ram, and still have the old ram
                        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                        GammaControl v2.4
                        SKINbedder v3

                        1995 Lexus SC300

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Even bad ram shouldn't give off THAT many errors.

                          I'm going to guess that the voltage or timings in that ram are incompatible with the motherboard and it's causing all kinds of crap.

                          Give the mobo manufacturer a call or look on their site for what recomended ram sticks.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by HaloGray
                            Even bad ram shouldn't give off THAT many errors.

                            I'm going to guess that the voltage or timings in that ram are incompatible with the motherboard and it's causing all kinds of crap.

                            Give the mobo manufacturer a call or look on their site for what recomended ram sticks.
                            Well, I'm using the normal ram timings. I didn't touch the bios except disableing unneeded things.

                            Time: 17hours 03min
                            Pass: 46
                            Erros: 1034272

                            I'm guessing that its a dead chip.
                            PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                            GammaControl v2.4
                            SKINbedder v3

                            1995 Lexus SC300

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 0l33l
                              This proves the theory of "you get what you pay for". Now he's gonna have to get new ram, and this time he'll pay more for the ram, and still have the old ram
                              A couple of hints for your friend: get memory with lifetime warranty, burn-in right after purchase and by all means avoid Samsung!!!
                              Asus K8S-MX ~ Athlon 64 2800+ ~ Kingmax MPXD42D-2K 1Gb ~ Seagate ST960822A 60Gb ~ PSK-3100 PS/2 kbd ~ MR-350 GPS ~ Hawking HSB1AP ~ Buffalo WLI-USB-G54 ~ 8" Dynamix TS LCD ~ DSATX ~ XCard ~ TVedia ~ some LCD TV ~ Vista ~ MapPoint 2006 ~ iGuidance 2.*

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X