AC/DC Power inverter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC/DC Power inverter?

Hi, I am looking for a AC/DC power inverter to run all my electronics in the car of 120v power. Right now I am using a trickle charger that works ok at low volume, but once I go to higher volume it draws lost of current. The trickle charger is only 2.5Amps. thanks
    2000 Grand prix GT
    C134 mini-ITX Car System
    - Motherboard EPIA M10000 1GHz
    - Lilliput Monitor
    - Gyration Ultra Cordless
    - GPS
    - ODBII (Digimoto)
    - Phoenix Gold Octane-R 5.1
    - 2x Alphine SWS-1042D

your post is kind of confusing, but here's a shot: if you are trying to run 12v electronics off of 120v AC power, then you need an AC/DC power supply, not an inverter (an inverter converts DC to AC, not the other way around)

you can find power supplies designed for running car accessories such as CB radios all over the place. Radio shack has a couple, in 3 amp and 15 amp models:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...ct%5Fid=22-508

you can also find similar ones on ebay and such, with either banana jack terminals, or a cigarette lighter socket. They're usually available with 8 to 15 amp output for decent prices, which should be enough to power just about anything you can throw at it, since you're using an epia.

if you want a CHEAP solution, that isn't necessarily as effective, you can take an old computer power supply (AT or ATX) and hack it to make a bench power supply out of it. That's what I use, personally. You can get a 12v output from it, typically rated at about 8 amps or more, and if you can find an old power supply, it will only cost you a couple dollars for a power resistor to fool the supply, and an hour or two to hack it up. You can find tutorials to do that all over the 'net.
    But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
    Originally posted by Viscouse
    I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
    eegeek.net

Comment

thanks for the reply evandude. What I am looking for is what show cars have.
      They can run on AC power, without draining the battery. I think the power supply will do what I want
      2000 Grand prix GT
      C134 mini-ITX Car System
      - Motherboard EPIA M10000 1GHz
      - Lilliput Monitor
      - Gyration Ultra Cordless
      - GPS
      - ODBII (Digimoto)
      - Phoenix Gold Octane-R 5.1
      - 2x Alphine SWS-1042D

Comment

Working...
      X