Help me design a carputer system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me design a carputer system

OK so I have a modest knowledge of computers and electronics. Enough to do minor upgrades and builds.

After surveying the options from most of the major car audio manufacturers, I have come to the conclusion that I may be better off using my tablet pc and a TFT screen to achieve my desider results. Those being:
    1. fully functioning pc operation via tft screen
    2. GPS navigation
    3. XM interface via TFT
    4. smart media and flash drive integration
    5. hifi audio
    6. dvd playback

Can someone take me through what I will need and the basic install steps? I need a shopping list and a general explaination of how this will all go together. This is for my Nissan 350Z. It will replace the Eclipse AVN 2454 that I purchased for it. I cannot find any interface made for the Eclipse that will give me access to XM or an Ipod onscreen, so I figured I would dump it and set up a system that has expansion capabilities. Am I expecting too much?

Thanks in advance, Bill

I don't know if this will help but this page has my shopping list on it.

http://www.hypersprite.com/auto/tech-z-007

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by live steam
      Can someone take me through what I will need and the basic install steps? I need a shopping list and a general explaination of how this will all go together. This is for my Nissan 350Z. It will replace the Eclipse AVN 2454 that I purchased for it. I cannot find any interface made for the Eclipse that will give me access to XM or an Ipod onscreen, so I figured I would dump it and set up a system that has expansion capabilities. Am I expecting too much?

Thanks in advance, Bill
      All the answers are in these forums, n00b. Grab a beverage and perhaps a tasty snack and read. Make notes. Read some more. Learn something. Read more. And so on.
      No, you're not expecting too much. All that you want to accomplish is certainly possible.

It's pointless to hand you a shopping list because there's decisions YOU need to make about nearly everything in the process.
      What CPU and motherboard do you want to use? VIA EPIA? Mobile AthlonXP? Moble P4? Older, slower P4?
      Do you want to use a more powerful system and power it off an inefficient inverter or do you want a less-powerful system and power it off a DC-DC power supply?

Read on, n00b. You have much to learn.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I second what darquepervert said. I know it probably ****es you off to be the subject of his n00b-bashing, but the fact is, he's right. This forum is a huge resource and the old adage "there's nothing new under the sun" applies well here. The "search" button needs to be your best friend for a while.
        But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
        Originally posted by Viscouse
        I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
        eegeek.net

Comment

Was I really bashing?
          How about the Wiki?

Comment

meh, not real bad. but obviously many newbies take offense to being told to search and read for themselves instead of being spoon-fed the answers.
            But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
            Originally posted by Viscouse
            I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
            eegeek.net

Comment

true

almost done though
              Brushed Metal for Centrafuse 1.4
              Brushed Aluminum for Centrafuse 1.4

xenarc 700ts | via epia-m10k | audigy2 nx | holux gm-210 | usb wifi | 40gb 2.5" | slot-load dvd-cdrw | morex 3688 | opus 150w | centrafuse, iguidance

Comment

Originally posted by evandude
                meh, not real bad. but obviously many newbies take offense to being told to search and read for themselves instead of being spoon-fed the answers.
                I agree.
                hell, in my mind, the majority of the satisfaction is from making the decisions and then firing it all up and making it work!
                How about the Wiki?

Comment

Working...
                X