Currently Best Motherboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currently Best Motherboard

I did a search for motherboards to see what type I should get however I don't know the latest on them. Most of the threads where it's "best motherboard" are 2004 and are no longer the best available and more will come out in the future but in the meantime, I'm trying to plan my system.

What motherboard should I get? (money isn't an issue)

I was thinking i915GMm-HFS (http://english.aopen.com.tw/products/mb/i915GMm-HFS.htm) but the thing is, video doesn't matter all that much (has to be decent for DVDs but that's about it). Sound card on the other hand needs to be the best I can get so I don't know how much the built in sound card would help (i guess i can just disable it).

Anyways I'd love to hear some more recommendations as to what I should consider.

Thanks,
    MrLister
    Learning Status: |#####-----| 50%
    System Setup: |----------| 0%

Why don't you build an AMD system? Some can run on the Opus 150w DC-DC, which is better than going with an inverter.
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I have the AOpen i915GM-I LGA775 board. The Azalia HD audio is great, and the onboard intel graphics is good for normal 2D work, no gaming. The Pentium M systems are great, but expensive. That baord runs about 300$ USD at newegg.com, aside from the 250$ P-M Processors, and espensive but great setup, even the lowest model P-M is MORE than sufficient.
      [||||||||||]
      100% DONE!

tVIEW 8" 8x6 LCD
      EPIA800
      2x128 PC133
      10.2GB HD
      Audigy Gold + Bose Speakers + Sony CDXM880 HU
      2001 Jetta CarPC Finally Done!

Comment

I was just reading up on the AMD systems. I've never had one but I'm curious to try.

Seems Mobile AMD would suite me best. I'm now looking at http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7V400-MX&langs=09 (I trust ASUS with motherboards, I've always had one).

What kind of Mobile AMD CPU should I get? Would "AMD Athlon XP-M 2500 Barton" be overkill? Would it work well with the motherboard above?

Comment

I wouldn't go with an Asus. I've lost all confidence in them. I've already got 2 dead Asus mobos here. I RMAed one of them, and GOT BACK A DEAD MOTHERBORAD! Then I tried to contact them again, and they thought that I was some kind of idiot (they told me to check if my parts are working, even though I said that I just pulled them out of my computer and that they worked, and then put them back in an they worked), so I cursed them out and never heard from them again

Don't buy Asus, go with a gigabyte motherboard
          GammaControl v2.4
          SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Ahh ok. I'll take it into consideration (I only had two ASUS boards, and so far so good)

Where on the giga-byte site can I sort their motherboards by Micro ATX? or which one do you recommend for "AMD Athlon XP-M 2500 Barton"?

Comment

Originally posted by MrLister
              Ahh ok. I'll take it into consideration (I only had two ASUS boards, and so far so good)

Where on the giga-byte site can I sort their motherboards by Micro ATX? or which one do you recommend for "AMD Athlon XP-M 2500 Barton"?
              Anything with an nForce2 would be great. I don't trust VIA chipsets. Plus the nForce's graphics are great for the car
              GammaControl v2.4
              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I'm having a hard time finding something with nForce2 and being a Micro ATX.

Would http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard...%20Pro-SLI.htm be using too much power or should I just find a nForce2?

Comment

EPIA SP

Where is your computer going to be in the car? Trunk? or up front?

How do you plan to hook up your sound? Direct to speakers or do you have an H/U? Do you have amps?

Personally I really enjoy the Audigy NX for sound, very configurable. 24bit and digital
                  2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
                  2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
                  Sound Stage
                  Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

The computer is going in the trunk, sound goes from car, to amplifier to speakers. (I need equalizer options however) with a clean signal.

Comment

I'm having a hard time finding something with nForce2 and being a Micro ATX.

Would http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard...%20Pro-SLI.htm be using too much power or should I just find a nForce2?
                      The link u gave is for an athlon 64 machine.
                      GammaControl v2.4
                      SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I'll second the Gigabyte mobos, also Foxconn seems to work well. I've build a dozen or so, basic systems, and the Foxconn board work really well. For my higher up systems, I use Gigabyte for my higher end systems, like the one I'm using now is an overclocked Gigabyte.

Personal Opinion. Dont get a cheap mobo by any means, but dont feel like you have to buy a top-of-the-line mobo for your car, afterall you'll only be using it when driving. Furthermore, you most likely wont be overclocking it, which I find that if you spend more on a mobo, its eaiser and more stable when you overclock, but again I'm only 16, some people have been doing this much longer than I have.

Get a Mobo that has a descent video onboard since you say your not too concerned about video, and use the money you'll save by going down a few steps and buy a nice sound card. Sound is proably the most important thing for a carcomputer, or thats how I see it.

Incase you havent already found out, try www.newegg.com, they are freaking awesome. I buy all my parts (except fans and small stuff) from them. My .02...
                        Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
                        Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
                        Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
                        CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
                        NINe.2X, NINe.2

Comment

Could somebody please maybe give me a link to a mobo that they would recommend? I tried newegg for a nforce2 and micro but this is all i get

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Comment

Could somebody please maybe give me a link to a mobo that they would recommend? I tried newegg for a nforce2 and micro but this is all i get

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
                            MSI is another brand that I'd recommend
                            GammaControl v2.4
                            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I say forget what 0l33l has to say and go with the Asus, he doesn't know what he's talking about half the time

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131483
                              Installed
                              Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
                              512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
                              Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
                              [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X