Processing Power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processing Power

This may sound like a stupid question, and it propably is, but I am going to ask it anyway because I want to know.

How fast is a EPIA-V 1.0GHz processor compared to a Pentium 650Mhz? Isn't 650Mhz only 2/3 as fast as 1.0GHz?

I have the same operating system and basically the same software setup on both my carputer (EPIA 1.0 Ghz, 512Meg RAM) and my desktop (Pentium 650Mhz, 256M RAM). Both computers are basically setup to load the same applications on startup, except desktop loads MS office in addition to the rest.

When I run FP and Navivoice (at the same time) on the carputer, the processor usage is 100%, but when I run FP and Navivoice (again both at the same time) on the desktop the CPU usage is never more than 25%.

What gives?
    Compaq Evo D510 e-PC - P4 2.0 - 512M RAM - 120G 3.5 HD - 7" Xenarc 700TSV - DSATX fitted nicely inside the PC case

Damn dood, u dont know much about CPU architecture. And dammit neither do I.

But being a mac fan, you have to know a little bit to keep the flame wars going.

The "speed" of your computer vs the speed that you seem to think of, is actually two different things. One is the actual time it takes to accomplish a task, the other is a rate of measuring the freq. of the electrons that move physically thru a processor.

The megahertz myth is that Megahertz = speed, when actually tats only a tiny part.
    HOw much L1, L2 or L3 cache does your CPU have?
    How much RAM are you running?
    What is your RAM and CPU bus speeds?

These are the questions you need to ask, saying 650 vs 1000 and looking for a 1/3 increase in productivity is pure bull****. Doubling the megahertz or tripling it doesnt make it go 3 times as fast. Meaning if something opens in 5 seconds at 500mhz, it wont necessarily open in 2.5 at 1.0Ghz.

I dont know shiite about PC mobos, but from the specs you quote, you have something totally different in the mobo, CPU, or bus architecture. Remember, a CPU is a physical thing using physical electrons to do "work" things slow down in bottlenecks.

A celeron vs a centrino vs a P4 is like comparing oranges, to corn to vortdogs. They arent built the same and do tasks in different ways, causing speed increase or decreases.

A Apple G4 1.0Ghz, if I recall, was just as fast at doing the same multimedia tasks as a 2.0+Ghz P3. So check all your specs, then complain its going slow.
    (All done)
    iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

You are right. I don't know anything about these things but you have pointed me in the direction of stuff that I need to check. So I thank you!
      Compaq Evo D510 e-PC - P4 2.0 - 512M RAM - 120G 3.5 HD - 7" Xenarc 700TSV - DSATX fitted nicely inside the PC case

Comment

Its what I am here for.
        (All done)
        iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

Via C3's are best for low power consumption, but were NOT designed for multimedia Applications. For multimedia situations, i would recommend a Intel Pentium 3 733mhz Processor, (the socket type, not the slot)
          I have done alot of research on this matter and have concluded that the Pentium 3 733mhz (P3) is more powerfull than what VIA have to offer. In multimedia applications, VIA, just cannot keep up with the instruction sets contained within the Intel CPU (MMX, SSE etc). Also most programs are specially encoded for the best performance on AMD'S and Intels.

To sum it all up, the Intel Pentium 3 Processor, whilst using more electrical power, has more capabilities

Hope i cleared something up for you.

If not, email me, at [email protected], for further help :P

Khalid

P.S SHARE THE KNOWLEDGE!!

Comment

Originally posted by BiG K
            Via C3's are best for low power consumption, but were NOT designed for multimedia Applications. For multimedia situations, i would recommend a Intel Pentium 3 733mhz Processor, (the socket type, not the slot)
            I have done alot of research on this matter and have concluded that the Pentium 3 733mhz (P3) is more powerfull than what VIA have to offer. In multimedia applications, VIA, just cannot keep up with the instruction sets contained within the Intel CPU (MMX, SSE etc). Also most programs are specially encoded for the best performance on AMD'S and Intels.

To sum it all up, the Intel Pentium 3 Processor, whilst using more electrical power, has more capabilities

Hope i cleared something up for you.

If not, email me, at [email protected], for further help :P

Khalid

P.S SHARE THE KNOWLEDGE!!

If you want even more power and a little less consumption, go with P3 1GHz, that baby was made on a new process, so it is cooler and faster at the same time. And no, I don't consider Pentium-M an option since its still damn expensive.
            I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Comment

Thank you all. The reason I went with a EPIA was the size as I wanted the PC to fit nicely under the front seat and I only wanted to have MP3 and Navigation. Right now it does the job so I cannot complain, although the CPU runs at 100%! I think over the summer I will build a new carputer with more capabilities.

Comment

mini itx P3 board do exist. But crappy intel video chipset, and no USB highspeed.
                Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

hmm, A p3 consumes a big amount of power and heat if you compare with The C3 processor. A C3 at 500 mhz is equally a P3 1000 Mhz in operation speed ive heard.
                  Everything on a c3 is intregated and that is speed.

The question about the c3 technoligy vs the Intel P3 technolygi is then very intresseted. when a p3 have many instructions supported for media although.

A C3 motherboard on idle can drain about 9w thats Extremly low.
                  WHen you can multiply that number when your talking about just the processor of a P3.
                  80 GIG SATA
                  512MB
                  7 TFT Touch Super
                  Pioner Slot in DVD-RW writer
                  108 Mbit Wireless Lan
                  100 M Bluetooth Range
                  //Power Nisse

My Betasite -> http://haagen.se

Comment

Originally posted by Power_nisse
                    A C3 at 500 mhz is equally a P3 1000 Mhz in operation speed ive heard.
                    Everything on a c3 is intregated and that is speed.
                    I got a turtle that does 10 second quarter mile runs. Backwards. While singing in baritone.

Or to paraphrase myself, crack is bad for you. Simple search of forums or World Wide Web will inform you that C3 equals P3 only in... errr... mmm... nothing!
                    A 1.2GHz C3 is about the same as P3-733. On a good day.

P.S. BTW, your brain is highly integrated too, when was the last time you could do calculation faster than say a calculator?
                    I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Power_nisse
                      hmm, A p3 consumes a big amount of power and heat if you compare with The C3 processor. A C3 at 500 mhz is equally a P3 1000 Mhz in operation speed ive heard.
                      I think it is more likely you got that the wrong way round. An epia 800mhz is about equivalent to a P3 500 at best. Possibly even the 1ghz is not much better than a P3 500. It has DVD acceleration which helps and nice things like USB2. If someone would bring out a 1Ghz P3 minITX with USB2 and 800x480 capable graphics it would be perfect! I have an embedded SBC with a low power P3 1Ghz that is about HALF THE SIZE of an epia (feactionally bigger than a nanoITX) and that thing draws about 20-30W max. I have just got an offer of off the tech support to make me a custom driver too

Comment

Hey Scouse, I checked the kontron site about the SBC you ware talking about, are they actually selling them?

Is your system doing exactly what m1000 does? Like onboard sound, VGA (Mpeg-2 decoder, 3D acceleration) etc.? Or do you need extra cards for that? How much does it cost?

I am fed up with VIA and looking to change my CarPC to something like this...What should I need to have all the capabilities of a M1000 with the kontron MB...?

Thanx Scousy
                        Time displayed in a different way!

http://www.lares.dti.ne.jp/%7Eyugo/s.../03/index.html
                        http://www.humanclock.com/

FREE 3D Glasses: http://www.rainbowsymphony.com/freestuff.html

Comment

i got the SBC off ebay. I dont think they sell the P3 model i have anymore. the big problem though is it has no USB2 which i need for wireless lan. It has onboard audio and VGA with DVD decode etc etc. Most of the connectors, except VGA, 2 USB, serial and keyboard/mouse are on IDC headers so you just need to make up cables witht he relevant connections you need which is pretty damn easy - especially as the manual is amazing and has every pin-out, spec and even connector part numbers from manufacturers. I have a 7" LCD with mine that is damn nice quality but to be honest i am actualyl tinkign about going back to a mobile athlon or celraon 1.7 setup for a couple of reasons. The PC is bloody quick though. To upgrade it you need to use PC/104 cards whuch are about 100 for a USB2 addon. I have an 8 port serial card i also got off ebay cheap. I an playing round with the screen drivers with a guy from kontron at the moment so i will see what happens.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

like this one?
                            Time displayed in a different way!

http://www.lares.dti.ne.jp/%7Eyugo/s.../03/index.html
                            http://www.humanclock.com/

FREE 3D Glasses: http://www.rainbowsymphony.com/freestuff.html

Comment

Working...
                            X