Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help help help!! what resistor thingie shud i use for these LEDS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help help help!! what resistor thingie shud i use for these LEDS?

hey guys wsups im planing on making LED break / turn / running lights for my explorer using

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

i wanted to know what resistor thingie or whatever would i use to bring the voltage down from 12volt to run the leds? thanks!!!!!!!1

There’s a guide on LEDs here

Basically you need to know how much current the LED is going to need, too much and it'll blow, to little and it'll only work to a portion of its full potential.

A LED& resistor calculator can be found here

The Forward voltage will be the 12V rail of your car, so put 12V in there, the other two pieces of info are specific to the LED, so in your case you need a 330 Ohm resistor, which is orange orange brown, for that nice LED on e-bay, look around though, you might find some in bulk and cheeper
    Penguin Friendly - tyrion - David Dolphin

Comment

nice info ty - thx man
      www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

make sure you calculate the amount of current the resistor will need to handle. most of the cheap resistors you buy from radio shack are 1/4 watt.
        My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

SnyperBob:
          np, I've been in the PC modding scene for quite a while so changing the LED in a mouse from red to blue is almost trivial to me now, but wherever I can help I will,
          Pleased to be of assistance
          shakes:
          Thank you for reminding me
          V=I.R
          Voltage equals Current (I) by Resistance

P=V.I
          Power equals Voltage by Current

Current in Amps
          Voltage in Volts
          Resistance in Ohms
          Power in Watts

A better calculater

A good LED tutorial

So a Safe power rating is .43 Watts, the quarther watt ones will probably overheat

Comment

damn thanks for the info! its still kinda confusing :-P imma go to radio shack today and c what i can find there

do you know any place i can get bulk leds for cheep??

Comment

I'm from Ireland, so the only places of any use to me are the English relailers,Maplin and Rapid

Try Super Bright LEDs, they're American

Comment

i just talked to one of my friends he said if i wired 4 or 5 leds in series it will pull 12 volts witout a resistor or n e thing

Comment

True, here's some rules

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may not need a resistor, but check this calculator just incase

Comment

nice im going to go to the store in like 30 minz and c what i can find im prolly gonna do 100 LEDS in each light 20 rows of 5 leds each

i wanted to know if i used i think its called dual polarity leds its 2 lights in 1 housing will those work for my turn signals and running lights

my setup right now is 1 bulb that does my turn signals break lights and running lights when u hit the break its brighter then the running lights

or should i do it so out of the 20 rows 10 light up for runing lights and 10 light up for break lights

running lights on
                    ROW 1
                    ROW 2
                    ROW 3
                    ROW 4
                    ROW 5
                    ROW 6
                    vvvvv

BOLD LIGHTS ARE RUNNING LIGHTS
                    BOLD AND ITALIC ARE BREAK AND TURN SIGNAL

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW thas how my light looks by the wya

Comment

There are 2 types of dual polarity LEDs(as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong)

One of them have 2pins, the other have 3

The ones which have 2pins, when you put voltage tru them one way they light up one colour, the other way they light up the other colout, eg red/green (like on the momitor I'm looking @now)

The type with 3pins, have a common + or common - , when you connnect tru +¹ to the - (or vice versa) one colour appears, if you put it through the +² to the - the other appears. The thing is, If you put voltage through both you usually get a mixed colour, like blue and red turn into orange

Do you have a Voltmeter and a friend handy to check how the lights are wired in your car?

Comment

hey i just picked up 200 clear housing red leds and 40 180 ohm 1/4 resistors guy said wire up 5 leds in series and then throw on 1 resistor for every 5 in the end just plug in the +'s and -'s into one wire and stick it into the harness i wried up one set to test it out and its awsome its bright as hell!

Comment

Make sure that the LEDs are not getting excessive current! if 5 LEDs are in series then the resistor 1/4 watt is fine because it only drops 2 volts or so.
                            Carputer currently 'ghettoed' into car!!!

EPIA MII-12000
                            Ampie Case with rigged extra USB
                            Hitachi 60GB
                            Holux GPS mouse with iGuidance 2.0
                            Lilliput 7" touchscreen
                            Netgear WG121 USB WiFi
                            Carnetix P1260

Comment

I don't think 5000mcd is nearly enough to be seen in daylight.
                              PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                              GammaControl v2.4
                              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Working...
                              X