Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this work?

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

Im putting together a carpc for my Bmw e46 and im considering the following combination since i have a centrino processor lying around at home:

Asus CT-479 CPU Adapter
    Asus P4P800 SE
    40 Gb notebook HDD
    Centrino 1.6 Ghz

Will this combination work and what kind of PSU would i need to feed the system with enough juice?

Will the CNX-P1900 Dual Output 140 Watt 12V DC-DC Regulator do the job?

Originally posted by marschwa

Im putting together a carpc for my Bmw e46 and im considering the following combination since i have a centrino processor lying around at home:

Asus CT-479 CPU Adapter
    Asus P4P800 SE
    40 Gb notebook HDD
    Centrino 1.6 Ghz

Will this combination work and what kind of PSU would i need to feed the system with enough juice?
    I am no expert on hardware, and in particular, the hardware you mentioned.

However, what do you mean by WORK? Why would it not? Carputers are VERY similar to desktop computers. If it will work in your house, it can be made to work in the car.

Now, if you are asking if that is a worthwhile system to build, that is a different story.

I have built a couple of carputers with left over desktop parts, and have been very happy with the results. Some people want the best computer they can make for the car, so thier specs will certainly outshine my specs.

Some people go for the smallest form factor they can, while I have never been very fascinated with that, cause I don't mind a larger box sitting in my trunk. You should decide what you want to accomplish with your system. Do you have issues with space. Do you need the latest and greatest hardware. How expensive do you want to make the system, or better yet, how much can you afford. Do you have parts laying around from older computers.

As for feeding it juice, I would recomend getting the highest output PS you can find. I prefer DC-DC units. Never liked the whole inverter-desktop PS(AC-DC units) system, although many people have had good success with it. The advantage to an inverter-AC-DC system is that you will always have enough power for the system, while DC-DC tend to have less output. Inverters though, increase the complexity of controlling the inverter and power supply, increasing cables and lengths and connectors in the system, packaging issues, and often times, they increase the noise in the form of system hum in the car.

DC-DC units are more expensive and less powerfull then a AC-DC PS, but they eliminate all the extra wiring, connectors, and have less problems with controling the PS and the Computer.

Good luck with your system build.
    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by marschwa

Asus CT-479 CPU Adapter
      Asus P4P800 SE
      40 Gb notebook HDD
      Centrino 1.6 Ghz
      Only because I'm geek to the core and decidedly anal about such things...
      Centrino is not a processor. It is a combination of Northbridge and wireless chipset to work with a Mobile P4 CPU.
      You have a Mobile Pentium CPU.

Will the CNX-P1900 Dual Output 140 Watt 12V DC-DC Regulator do the job?
      Yes it will work. You may be able to use the Carnetix, although I'm not as familiar with their products as I am witht eh Opus products. I'm reasonably certain that an Opus 150w will meet your needs. Many people balk at the high price of the Opus products, but nobody who has shelled out the extra cash has been disappointed, either.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
      X