Relay Wiring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relay Wiring

The pic below tells me that 30 and 87 is the wire I want to control. So if I cut into my 12 volt line to my back up cam, I would normally put a switch there, but I need to put a relay there. So if I attach those two ends to 30 and 87, I put the two poles of the switch on the other two posts 85 and 86?

[IMG]three relays.jpg[/IMG]
    Attached Files
    A pic is worth a thousand words.

Yep.
    And don't forget a diode across 85/87.
    http://www.jeepmp3.com/
    CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
    Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Originally posted by PatO
      Yep.
      And don't forget a diode across 85/87.
      No. If you put the two poles of the switch across 85/86 then that will achieve nothing.

One of the coil connections should go to ground. The other should connect to one connection of the switch. The other connection on the switch should connect to a 12v source.

And the diode goes across 85/86. Make sure the stripped end of the diode is connected to whichever coil connection is connected to the switch.

Rob.

Comment

Thanks for answering Rob. I drew the pic just the way you described it, but it seems to me that connecting a switch directly to a 12 volt source is defeating the whole purpose of the relay. I must be missing something.

If this pic is right, what do I do with 30 and 87? I'll worry about the diode after I understand this wiring.

[IMG]relay wire1.jpg[/IMG]
        Attached Files

Comment

Have the cam's red lead go into 87, then attach 30 to a positive power source.

If youre switch is big enough, why not just put that on the power line? like, a normal switch?

Comment

Thanks for the replay Kyle, the switch is very small, I want to build it into the steering wheel. I still don't understand how I can hook that switch up directly to the 12 volt source when it's so small.

Comment

Originally posted by Vee24
              I drew the pic just the way you described it, but it seems to me that connecting a switch directly to a 12 volt source is defeating the whole purpose of the relay.
              Relays are usually used when the current needed is higher than the switch's rating or the control line's output capability.

Thanks for the replay Kyle, the switch is very small, I want to build it into the steering wheel. I still don't understand how I can hook that switch up directly to the 12 volt source when it's so small.
              Check the current rating of the switch and the current consumption of the cam and if the consumption of the the cam is less than the rating of the switch then you can just use the switch in line as you originally wanted to do.

Rob.

Comment

Do it the easy way:
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Hombre, that makes sense. With this setup, do I need a diode?

Comment

Originally posted by gommino
                    No. If you put the two poles of the switch across 85/86 then that will achieve nothing.
                    Doh!
                    Sorry about that...
                    http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                    CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                    Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Thanks Hombre, that makes sense. With this setup, do I need a diode?
                      Nop!

Comment

Working...
                      X