• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are two c: drives possible?

Home computer has C: and D:
    Carputer has C:
    O/S is XP Pro

I want to bring the hard drive in the house that is being used in the carputer, hook it up to my home computer and copy the info from my home computer to the carputer.

But they both have drive's C:

I have about 2 gigs of data to transfer, I could go wireless but its kinda slow and does not always transfer well. No CD/DVD in the car yet.

Is this possible?
    2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
    2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
    Sound Stage
    Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

i've never had a problem bringing in the hard drive. i think it sees it as the F drive. (D and E are dvd drives). i could be wrong though.
    rebuilding carpc... kinda..

Comment

if you take the c drive out of one pc and put it in another, it will change the drive letter automatically based on what drives you currently have. for example, i can take the c drive out of the computer i have running upstairs and hook it up to this one. since i already have an a, b, c, d, e, and g drives, more than likely, the c drive from the other computer would take the f drive letter or the h drive letter.
      Your everyday carpc geek and tech guru at your service. *bow*

Comment

If you use the IDE cable that is inside you home pc just chang the jumper of the carpc HD to slave...If using USB mod cable or enclosure it changed automatically
        RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
        We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

that too. make sure the jumper is set right.
          Your everyday carpc geek and tech guru at your service. *bow*

Comment

or just buy a small 10 gig laptop hard drive and a usb enclosure and you can use it to transfer all ur data all the time
            i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

If you going to buy a laptop HD get 20 or 40g 'cause can help you better in the future than 10g or go with the KOSUMI minidrive 2g USb compactible for $70 bucks...
              RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
              We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

Originally posted by -zip-
                Home computer has C: and D:
                Carputer has C:
                O/S is XP Pro

I want to bring the hard drive in the house that is being used in the carputer, hook it up to my home computer and copy the info from my home computer to the carputer.

But they both have drive's C:

I have about 2 gigs of data to transfer, I could go wireless but its kinda slow and does not always transfer well. No CD/DVD in the car yet.

Is this possible?
                The second drive will not be recognized as C:. It will be assigned another drive letter by Windows. You'll be able to see all the files & the entire directory structure.

I do this all the time for clients that have a computer take a **** on them.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the help
                  2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
                  2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
                  Sound Stage
                  Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

It's worth mentioning that any internal program references wont change. That is, if you're running something on the drive that used to be c:, but now in the new machine is d:, it may not be able to find files.
                    For the most part, I dont think this will be a problem for major programs to be able to run, but shortcuts and the like wont work.

Not a major problem, but worth noting.
                    A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag.

My Ride
                    My New Page

Comment

Originally posted by thanatos106
                      If you going to buy a laptop HD get 20 or 40g 'cause can help you better in the future than 10g or go with the KOSUMI minidrive 2g USb compactible for $70 bucks...
                      This is what I was thinking about rather than moving your harddrive. Get a 1Gb USB hub, it makes more sence. This way, insted of ripping open the bowles on your computer(s) you just find an open USB hub and transfer data, plus accidents do happen, and you dont want to trip while carrying your harddrive out to your car.
                      Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
                      Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
                      Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
                      CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
                      NINe.2X, NINe.2

Comment

Working...
                      X