Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need to make a 10ft power switch what kinda wire??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to make a 10ft power switch what kinda wire??

As title states have to make a switch(not really make,have the switch jus need to lengthen the wore) that is long enough to go from the trunk to the front of the car. what kinda wire do i use. And yes i have searched. need it really long so i can run wires behind dash.thanx in advance

p.s. Any ideas or if someone wants to make one for me for a fee im all open.
    ..and dont back out just because u think its too crazi , i hate pussies
    -outdidya

epia m1000,256mb ddr,7"lilli,120gb hdd, Ati remote wonder,400watt inverter,350psu all under xp pro-installed

The gauge of this wire does not matter at all.
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

unless its some big current draw. just dont go smaller than what you already have there
      99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

Yea same size would probably be ok, but it probably would be best to go 2 or 4 gauge sizes bigger(4 numbers smaller). So if its 16 gauge, 14 or 12 would be best.
        Core duo
        1tb harddrive
        256 ddr
        8 lilliput
        bu-353

still installing...

Comment

Um, what's the switch being used for, and what kinda power is going through it. If it's just a switch to tell the computer to turn 'on', 16 or 18 is just fine. If it's your main power line, you definitely want a larger wire.

Comment

cool guys thanks.jus bout some 14 gauge wire
            -outdidya

epia m1000,256mb ddr,7"lilli,120gb hdd, Ati remote wonder,400watt inverter,350psu all under xp pro-installed

Comment

I'm using some old Cat5 cable, what type of power switch are you using?
              01 Metro LSI
              79hp 41MPG Highway
              Check my progress
              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51295

Comment

seriously, the current through a power switch is negligible, you could use wire the thickness of a human hair and still be fine.

use whatever you want... there's nothing wrong with 14 gauge, but it's overkill... I try to keep all my wire sizes realistic so they don't get unmanageable when I have to run a bundle of them to the front of the car (telephone wire, or cat5 network cable, are great for low current stuff like buttons and LEDs, because they're cheap and readily available, and you can run several low-current devices through one cable)
                But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
                Originally posted by Viscouse
                I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
                eegeek.net

Comment

first find out how many amps are running through the wire. Then pick up an NEC code book (im sure you can also find this information online easily). And it will tell you specifically what gauge wire you should use based on current.
                  Take 2 - '03 Audi A4
                  macmini with an 8" widescreen (in progress)

My 2004 Ford Ranger:
                  14" LCD w/ custom made aluminum bezel
                  Completly custom computer case

Comment

Originally posted by c4shm0ney
                    I'm using some old Cat5 cable, what type of power switch are you using?

jus a atx powerswitch to tell the computer to turn on.
                    -outdidya

Comment

Working...
                    X